Topics Map > User Services > Help Desk Operations > Computers - PC
Topics Map > User Services > Help Desk Operations > AV Support - Classrooms
Logging into a Local Account
Instructions for logging in to a device with a local user account.
Shared laptops and workstations within Housing sometimes are provisioned with a local user account. This is an account that is specific to that device and is intended to be used by various users. It loads much quicker than a user's full network profile and it also conserves local resources on the device (ex. storage). You can also use a local account on one device to Remote Desktop to your primary workstation (more on using Remote Desktop: Accessing Campus Network and Housing Workstation From Home )
Signing In as the Local Account
- Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to activate the Windows login screen
- If the last signed in user's account is already selected, choose "Other user" at the bottom left of the login screen
- In the username field, enter ".\" followed by the username of the local account. Often, the local account sign-in information is printed on a sticker on the laptop
- Enter the password for the local account
- Press "Enter" to sign in to the computer.