Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Benefits (BN)
BN - Self Service Benefits Enrollment for New Hires (eBenefits)
The purpose of this guide is to assist you with the HRS Benefits Self Service enrollment process. It is intended to be used by New Hires.
- Login and password information for accessing your MyUW System Portal or MyUW Madison Portal and associated Self Service module.
- Research your available benefits options in advance by visiting the UWSHR Benefits Website and make your enrollment decisions prior to beginning your Self Service enrollment session. We estimate it will take one hour to complete this process. Take your time and thoroughly read each screen you are presented with before moving to the next screen.
- Please note that you cannot enroll in a Tax Sheltered Annuity 403(b) Program (TSA) or the Wisconsin Deferred Compensation (WDC) plans through Self Service. You must complete a Salary Reduction Agreement form for any TSA plan, or enroll online for WDC. More information and enrollment forms for all Benefit Plans can be accessed at the UW Service Center website. TASC Parking and Transit are also currently not available using Self Service. You will need to print out and complete a Parking and Transit enrollment form and submit it to your benefits office.
- Dependent(s): dates of birth, marital status, social security numbers, their tax status.
- If your dependents have other coverage or are covered by Medicare, you will need the name of the insurance company and the subscriber ID number.
- If your dependent(s) is over 18 years old, but under 26 years old, and still eligible to remain on your insurance and you wish to enroll them, then tax status should be marked as Child, Legal Ward, Stepchild, etc. Click here for a list of eligible dependent types.
Remember you have only 30 days from your Date of Hire to complete your Self Service enrollments! Once the status is submitted, you will only be able to make changes on line the day of your submission. If you have submitted your elections and need changes, and are still within your 30 day window, you will have to contact your Benefits Administrator. Paper applications are needed after this point if you wish to change your State Group Life (SGL) or Income Continuation Insurance (ICI) enrollments.
1. Upon logging into your MyUW System Portal or MyUW Madison Portal, locate the Benefit Information section. If you have an opportunity as a New Hire to enroll through Self Service, you will see a message informing you that you have an eligible Benefit Event. (If you are a new hire and do not see a Benefit Event, contact your Benefits Administrator at your institution.)
2. Click on the provided link to take you to the enrollment screens.
3. Some basic information about your event will be displayed. To begin the process of enrolling in benefits, click the Select button.
4. The Enrollment Summary screen will appear. To begin making choices, click Edit next to the plan you wish to enroll in.
5. Since State Group Health has more options than can be displayed on the screen, use the Filter Plan Options buttons to help narrow down the plan choices. The screen will default to 'All'. Choose HDHP (high Deductible Health Plan) only or non-HDHP and with or without Dental by clicking on the radio button and then clicking the Apply button.
6. Based on the filters chosen, a list of available Benefit Plans will display along with the associated premium costs. To choose a plan, click the radio button next to that option. (For more information on a specific plan, you can click on the name of the Benefit Plan. This hyperlink will open the insurance company's website in a new window.)
7. Once you have selected your health plan, scroll down to the Dependents section. Add all dependents who will be covered by any benefit plans at this point by clicking on the Add/Review Dependents button.
NOTE! We recommend that you enter all your dependents during this initial process, regardless of
which plans you will be enrolling them in to make the process
8. In the next window, enter all of the relevant information for your dependent (i.e. First Name, Last Name, Gender, Date of Birth, SSN, Relationship to Employee, Marital Status).
NOTE: Dependent names must be entered using all CAPITAL letters. Be sure to click SAVE after adding each dependent.
9. When you have entered all dependents, click the Return to Event Selection link at the bottom of the page. Then click the checkbox of each
dependent that you wish to enroll in each of the Benefit Plans you are choosing. After you have selected all plans and covered dependents, click the Update and Continue button.
10. You will be returned to the Benefits Enrollment screen. This screen will provide the following information:
- Covered Benefit Plans
- Coverage level for each Benefit Plan
- Estimated monthly cost for each Benefit Plan
- All dependents you have chosen to be covered under each Benefit Plan
- Notes section that will list important information such as the date that your coverage becomes effective
11. If you want to store your choices but are not ready to finalize your enrollments, click the Update Elections button. The HRS system will store your choices so even though you haven't officially enrolled in any plans yet, if you were to time out from the system, log out, or navigate away from the page, your choices would be saved until you go back in to submit and finalize your enrollments.
12. You may continue to make or change benefit selections by clicking on any Edit button next to a Benefit Plan you want to enroll in or make a change to up until the point when you Submit your elections.13. Once you have completed all of your enrollment selections and you are ready to Submit and finalize your enrollments, scroll to the bottom of the screen to view a brief summary of the before tax, after tax, and total costs of your benefits elections.
14. If all information is correct, click the Save and Continue button.
15. The Authorize Elections screen will allow you to either Submit or Cancel your enrollments. Press Submit to send your enrollment choices to the HRS database. (Please note, you will not receive a pop up confirmation notice that your elections have gone through. See #16 for information on how to confirm the submission of your enrollments.) If you are not yet ready to finalize your elections, you can click Cancel to return to the previous selection screens and continue to make changes by pressing the Edit button on any benefit plan until you are ready to Submit your choices. HRS will continue to temporarily store your selections.
16. You should receive a new page confirming your benefit choices have bee successfully submitted.
17. A Confirmation Statement will be sent to your primary email address and saved to the MyUW System Portal or MyUW Madison portal the day after your submission.
18. Please be sure to verify that all premium deductions appear as expected on your upcoming payroll checks and notify your institution Benefit Administrator of any concerns or issues.