Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Finance (FN)
FN - Run an Appointment Funding Total by Pay Period Report
You can run an appointment funding Total by Pay Period Report for forecast planning purposes for employees with appointment level funding. The report is based on the funding effective date, and shows an employee's pay periods, compensation amount per pay period, funding combination code, total dollar amount, and total funding distribution percent. The report also displays job-related data such as: job effective date, position number, FTE, Standard Hours, Pay Group, Pay Rate, Appointing Dept, Title, Employee Class, and Pay Basis.
If an employee has a pay rate change during the fiscal year, the report displays this information and adjusts the totals accordingly.
REPORT LIMITATIONS: This report is designed for employees with one pay group per fiscal year. If an employee has multiple pay groups in the same fiscal year, you will need to run the report separately for each pay group.
NOTE: The report is also known as the Detailed Salary Funding Plan Report. This HRS funding report replaces the former PayData Final Output report which was used in our legacy payroll system prior to April 2011.
PeopleSoft HRS Security Role Needed:
FI Campus Funding One BU (to add or change funding for one campus)
Note: If you do not have HRS Security to add or change funding, you may run this report ad-hoc from the UW Financial Reports menu. Refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document 27876, FN - Run the Detailed Salary Funding Plan Report for detailed instructions.
2. On the Funding Data Entry, Find an Existing Value search page:
a. The SetID defaults to SHARE. Leave as is; do not change.
b. The Business Unit defaults to your campus. Change, if your HRS security access allows you to add or change funding for more than one campus.
c. Enter as many fields as are known (e.g. appointing Department, Fiscal Year, Employee ID, Employee Record Number, etc.).
d. Select the Include History indicator to display all historical funding records for the employee.
e. Click Search.
Note: If multiple records meet your search criteria, a Search Results screen displays. If only one record meets your search results, the Funding Data Entry page displays.
3. On the Funding Data Entry page:
a. Verify that the intended employee and current fiscal year are shown.
b. If you have made any funding changes for the employee, click Save before running the funding report.
Note: Changes made on the Funding Data Entry page will NOT appear on the Total By Pay Period Report until the Funding Data Entry page is saved.
4. To select report options for the employee, click the Total By Pay Period hyperlink, located on the lower left-hand side of the Funding Data Entry page. (See screenshot below).
5. The Total by Period Report selection criteria page displays. (See screenshot below).
a. The Detailed Salary Funding Plan Request Parms (parameters) section displays the appointing Department, Employee ID, employee's Name, and Employee Record Number.
b. The Reporting Period Request Parms (parameters) section allows you to choose from three reporting period options: Summer Period, Fiscal Year, or Custom Date Range. The default reporting option is by Fiscal Year (July 1 - June 30).
(1) For active employees with a Pay Basis of either Summer Session (e.g. Teaching) or Summer Service (e.g. Research/ Administrative), you can select Summer Period or Custom Date Range.
(2) To run the report for a specific period, select Custom Date Range; enter the Begin Date and End Date of a date range that is within the Fiscal Year (July 1 - June 30).
c. To run the report with your selections, click Run Report.
6. A Processing...please wait icon will display in the upper right corner while the report executes. When processing is complete, a new web browser tab/window will open with the .htm report output.
a. On the report results, a Table of Contents frameset displays on the left-hand side which crowds the screen for single page reports. To remove the Table of Contents frameset, delete the " _frm " characters near the end of the web address, and click Enter/Return on your keyboard. (See Example of Report Results with Table of Contents Frameset Displayed below).
b. To view the report results in a larger font, you can zoom in and out. For Windows' users, you can use keyboard shortcuts <Ctrl>< +> and <Ctrl> < - > to zoom in and zoom out respectively.
NOTE: If you see report results with the words, "Assignment Not Found", this means there is no active appointment for the employee. In addition, the words, "Assignment Not Found", might also display if an active employee had multiple Terminations and/or Rehire personnel actions on the same Job Effective date. This "known issue" was reported on 13FEB2014, and the workaround is to run the report by Custom Date Range.
7. Each section of the Detailed Salary Funding Plan Report output is described below:
a. Run Cntl ID: (Run Control ID) displays "ONLINE" to signify the report was run from the Funding Data Entry page.
b. Report Option: Displays the reporting period option selected from the Total by Period Report page, Reporting Period Request Parms area in Step 5 above. Report options include: Summer Period, Fiscal Year or Custom Date Range.
c. Employee Name: Employee's First Name and Last Name (e.g. Marvin Medicine).
d. Empl ID: 8-digit unique Employee ID (e.g. 00001596).
e. Empl Rcd: Employee record number which identifies a primary or secondary job (e.g. 0).
f. Job End Date: The Expected Job End Date field (if applicable) from the employee's HR Job Data record, Work Location tab. This field may be blank.
g. Appointment Summary displays the employee's HR job-related information that is in effect as of the Report Run Date:
- Job EffDate - Job Effective Date(s) of the employee's appointment from the HR Job Data record, Work Location tab.
- Position - 8 digit Position Number(s) of the employee's appointment from the HR Job Data record, Work Location tab. (This field may be blank).
- FTE - Full Time Equivalent percentage from employee's HR Job Data record, Job Information tab.
- Rate - Compensation Rate (or Comp Rate) from employee's HR Job Data record, Compensation tab.
- Std Hrs - Number of Standard Hours to be worked per week, according to the employee's HR Job Data record, Job Information tab.
- Paygroup - A 3-character code which ties the employee to a particular UW Payroll Calendar, with specific pay period begin and end dates. The Pay Group code is listed on the employee's HR Job Data record, Payroll tab.
h. Appointing Dept: 7 character appointing Department ID (e.g. A535900) from the employee's HR Job Data record, Work Location tab.
i. Title: Job Title description from the employee's HR Job Data record, Job Information tab.
j. Employee Class: Employee classification (e.g. Empl Class) from the employee's HR Job Data record, Job Information tab. Note: For a list of employee classification code definitions, refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document 15813, HR - Empl Class Overview .
k. Pay Basis: The principal condition in terms of time, production, or other criteria, along with salary rate, which determines the compensation paid to an employee. The Pay Basis is listed on the employee's HR Job Data record, Job Information tab.
Abbreviation (in HRS Reports)
|Academic school year with 9 pay periods; paid monthly|
|Fiscal year (July 1 - June 30) with 12 pay periods; paid monthly|
|Paid biweekly for hours worked per pay period in calendar year|
|Lump sum payment (e.g. fixed dollar amount)|
|No Pay Basis||
|Non paid appointment|
|Research or Administrative appointment during a summer period; Payroll Calendar is specific to each campus; paid monthly|
|Teaching appointment during a summer period; Payroll Calendar is specific to each campus; paid monthly|
l. Pay Rate: Compensation rate for the employee's job. The Pay Rate value will print multiple times if a change in compensation rate occurs or is set to occur during the specified time period. For classified, hourly employees, the annualized 1.00 FTE compensation rate will display. The hourly rate will display for student help employees and for unclassified, monthly paid employees.
m. Pay Period: The interval at which an employee is paid by UW. An employee's Pay Group code determines the appropriate UW Payroll Calendar, with specific pay period begin and end dates.
n. Fund: The payroll funding combination code (also known as "funding string") for the employee's salary expense. If funding changes become effective in the middle of a pay period, the affected pay period will be broken down into two or more sub-periods to reflect the change in funding.
(1) The report output will display as many funding columns as necessary, according to the funding distribution rows on the employee's Funding Data Entry page.
(2) If the employee has less than 6 funding distribution rows on the Funding Data Entry page, the report will display column heading(s) of Fund 2, Fund 3, Fund 4, Fund 5 or Fund 6, with blank values.
For example, the funding combination code 144-535900-4-PRJ68VH-1001 is made up of the following segments:
- Fund (3-digit fund code) Example: 144
- Funding Dept (6-digit funding department) Example: 535900
- Program code (1-character program code) Example: 4
- Project (7-character Project/Grant ID, if applicable) Example: PRJ68VH
Note: If the end date (e.g. 12/31/2013) of a Project/Grant (e.g. PRJ68FL) occurs within the date range of the selected report option (e.g. Fiscal Year 2014), the report results will not display past the end date of the Project/Grant.
- Account Code (4-digit general ledger account code in the Shared Financial System) Example: 1001
o. Total (dollar amount): Total dollar amount for the Pay Period.
(1) For monthly-paid, salaried employees, the total dollar amount for each Pay Period is the sum of: (Annual Pay Rate) ÷ (Number of pay periods) × (Funding distribution percent).
(2) For hourly-paid employees, the total dollar amount for each Pay Period is the sum of: (Pay Rate) × (Standard Hours) × (Number of weeks in Pay Period) × (Funding distribution percent).
p. Fund Level: Appointment. Appointment level funding means you are funding the salary expense for one employee, in one appointing department per fiscal year.
q. Fund Total (dollar amount): Sum total dollars per funding combination code for the specified Pay Period(s).
r. Fund Percent: Total funding distribution percentage per funding combination code for the specified Pay Period(s).
- Document 17024 is unavailable at this time.
- FN - View Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense
- HR - Empl Class Overview
- PY - Pay Group Descriptions
- HR - Encumbrance Definitions - Job Aid
- UWSC Support - View Job Inquiry/Employee Job Data Record in HRS
- UW Payroll Calendar
- SFS Account Codes for Salary and Fringe Benefits