Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Finance (FN)
FN - Run the Employee Funding Summary Report
You can run the Employee Funding Summary Report to list the funding level (Appointment, Position, Department), funding combination code, and funding percentage for all employees in a business unit, division, department as of a specific funding effective date. The "as of" date represents the funding effective date from the HRS Funding Data Entry page which may be the current date, a future date or a date in the past for the specified Fiscal Year.
The Employee Funding Summary Report is an ad-hoc report which can be run any time, and you can download the report results to an Excel spreadsheet to sort and filter data as needed. The report results display in "real time."
If an employee has a specific Earnings Code which is funded differently than regular earnings, (due to Retro Pay, Overtime, Overload, for example), this 3-character earnings code is displayed under the Earnings Code column on the report results. If no salary funding exists for an employee, the report displays the message,"No Funding Source Available."
NOTE: For employees with a Pay Group code of NON (No Pay Basis), you can ignore the "No Funding Source Available" message because these types of employees are not paid through HRS payroll.
ACTION NEEDED: If the message, "No Funding Source Available" displays for an active employee's job record number (in Active payroll status), funding should be added before the Payroll Confirmation deadline of their next payroll period. Otherwise, the employee's salary expense will be distributed to the Payroll Suspense chartfield of Fund 128, Funding Dept PRSUSP, Program code 1, and a direct retro funding distribution (a/k/a salary cost transfer) will be needed to correct the funding retroactively.
HRS Security Role Needed
FI Campus User Funding Reports
- From the HRS Main Menu, navigate to: Set Up HRMS > Product Related > Commitment Accounting> Reports > Funding Summary USA.
- In the Funding Summary USA search screen:
a. If this is the first time running this report, click the Add a New Value tab. Go to Step 3.
b. If not the first time running the report, click Search to locate your pre-existing Run Control ID. Go to Step 4.
In the Add a New Value tab:
a. In the Run Control ID field, enter a name that is 30 characters or less and contains no spaces. Example: EMPLFUNDING.
b. Click Add to continue to the next screen.
In the Funding Summary Report tab, the Run Control ID field shows the name given to the Run Control ID for this report (e.g. EMPLFUNDING).
a. In the required field for SetID, the default is SHARE. Leave as is. Do not change.
b. In the required field for Department, enter all or part of the 7-character appointing Department which starts with your campus alpha code identifier (e.g. B037300). If a partial appointing Department is entered, use the percent character % as a wildcard (e.g. B03%).
c. In the required field for Fiscal Year, enter the 4-digit fiscal year (e.g. 2014).
Note: Fiscal Year 2014 began July 1, 2013 and ends June 30, 2014.
d. The As of Date required field represents the funding effective date, as entered on the Funding Data Entry page in HRS. The report will summarize the employee funding information effective this "As of Date" selection.
(1) The "As of Date" defaults to the current date, if first time running the report.
(2) You can modify the funding effective "As of Date" to be a future date or a historical date, but it must correspond with the four-digit Fiscal Year.
Note: The date range for Fiscal Year 2014 is July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014.
e. In the Funding Summary By required section, the default selection is Appointment Level. Leave as is. Do not change.
f. In the Report Option section, the default selection is Earnings. Leave as is. Other options are to summarize funding for Deductions or Taxes.
g. Leave the optional fields for Empl ID set to blank and Empl Rcd# set to zero.
h. The Active Data Only indicator field defaults to selected (e.g. checked) so that the report summarizes funding for all active employees. De-select if you wish to also include inactive employees.
i. The Output CSV File indicator is an optional field. When selected (e.g. checked), it generates a comma separated value (CSV) file that downloads to Excel, in addition to the default portable document format (PDF). Note: This option is recommended.
j. To save the Run Control ID for re-use, click the Save button. (HRS briefly displays the word Saved in the upper right-hand corner of the screen).
- To run the report with your parameters, click the Run button.
In the Process Scheduler Request screen, click OK to continue.
- After clicking OK, the Funding Summary Report tab displays. A unique Process Instance number (e.g. 1179362) shows that your report is running in the background.
- To monitor the staus of your report, click the hyperlink for Process Monitor.
- After clicking the Process Monitor hyperlink, the Process List screen displays. Locate your unique Instance number (e.g. 1179362) based on the report run date/time.
a. In the Process List screen, click on the yellow Refresh button (every 10 seconds) until the report Run Status indicates "Success" and the Distribution Status indicates "Posted." Note: The process interval in HRS is every 10 seconds.
b. When the Run Status displays "Success" and Distribution Status displays "Posted," click on the Details hyperlink to continue.
- After clicking on the Details hyperlink, the Process Detail screen displays.
a. Locate the Actions section on the lower right-hand portion of the screen.
b. Click the View Log/Trace hyperlink to display the output files.
- In the View Log/Trace window (see screenshot below), the File List section contains the output file format(s) selected in Step 4i above. In our example, the .CSV was selected, in addition to the default file format of .PDF. Note: The .CSV (comma separated value) file format downloads to an Excel spreadsheet.
Click on the desired file name to view the report results.
a. If you select the .PDF file format, go to Step 12, Report Results Example of .PDF File Format.
b. If you select the .CSV file format, go to Step 13, Report Results Example of .CSV/Excel Spreadsheet.
If you selected the .PDF file format in Step 11a above, the Employee Funding Summary Report results open in a new window. (See screenshot below). It is sorted by appointing department, employee's last name, Employee ID, Empl Rcd # (employee record number). A page break occurs after each unique appointing department.
The column headings are described below:
a. Name: first name, last name of employee (sorted alphabetically by Last Name).
b. Employee ID: 7-digit unique Employee ID (e.g. 00047223).
c. Empl Rcd#: Employee record number (e.g. 0, 1, 2, 3) which identifies the employee's job in the appointing department.
d. Funding Level: type of salary funding (if any) for the employee per the funding effective As of Date. AP = Appointment Level funding; PN = Position Level funding; DP = Department Level funding; Blank = no salary funding was added for the employee.
Note: For an explanation of the types of salary funding levels, refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document 21872, FN - Salary Funding Levels Assigned During Payroll Processing .
e. Funding Combination Code: The payroll funding distribution chartfields (also known as "funding string") for the employee's salary expense (e.g. earnings, deductions, taxes), as entered on the Funding Data Entry page in HRS.
No Funding Source Available means that no salary funding exists for the employee's active job record number; no funding was added on the Funding Data Entry page in HRS.
Action Needed: Add funding for the employee's active job record number in the appointing department before their next pay period.
Note: Ignore the "No Funding Source Available" message for employees whose Pay Group code is NON (No Pay Basis).
For example, the funding combination code 133-037300-0-MIL-PRJ53ZV is made up of the following five segments:
(1) Fund (3-digit fund code) Example: 133
(2) Funding Department (6-digit funding department) Example: 037300
(3) Program code (1-character program code) Example: 0
(4) Campus abbreviation (3-character campus abbreviation) Example: MIL
(5) Project, if applicable (7-character Project/Grant ID) Example: PRJ53ZV
f. Earnings Code: 3-character code, if applicable, to designate that a specific payroll earnings code is funded differently than regular earnings, deductions, and taxes.
Note: Refer to Related Job Aids below for specific links to relevant Earnings Codes.
g. Seq: 1-digit Sequence number from the Funding Data Entry page, Funding Distribution section in HRS. For each unique Sequence number, the funding distribution percentage must total 100%.
h. Empl Class: Employee classification from the employee's HR Job Data record, Job Information tab. Note: For a list of employee classification code definitions, refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document 15813, HR - Empl Class Overview .
i. Fund Distrib %: Funding Distribution percentage per funding combination code from the Funding Data Entry page, Funding Distribution section in HRS. Note: Employees with funding split between multiple funding combination codes will print with two or more rows on the report.
j. Pay Basis: The principal condition in terms of time, production, or other criteria, along with salary rate, which determines the compensation paid to an employee. Exception: The Pay Basis of NoPayBasis represents employees with non-paid, zero dollar appointments. The Pay Basis is listed on the employee's HR Job Data record, Job Information tab.
Note: For a list of the seven types of Pay Bases used at UW, refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document PY - Pay Basis Descriptions .
k. Pay Group: A 3-character code which ties the employee to a particular UW Payroll Calendar, with specific pay period begin and end dates. Exception: The Pay Group code of NON represents employees with non-paid, zero dollar appointments. These types of employees do not need payroll funding entered in HRS. The Pay Group code is listed on the employee's HR Job Data record, Payroll tab.
Note: For a description of the six main types of Pay Group codes used at UW and the applicable payroll calendar, refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document 29890, PY - Pay Group Descriptions .
Report Results Example of .CSV File Format/Excel Spreadsheet
- If you selected the .CSV file format in Step 11b above, the Employee Funding Summary Report results open in a new window, and downloads the report results as a Read-only, Excel spreadsheet.
a. If you receive a Windows Security pop-up message, click Cancel to continue.
b. If you receive a Microsoft Excel warning message, regarding the different file format (see screenshot below), click Yes to open the file.
c. Otherwise, the .CSV report results download to a Read-only, Excel spreadsheet.
d. In Excel, use the File, Save As menu option to re-save the file with a different name (e.g. EmplFunding04NOV2013.xlsx), and edit as needed.
Note: Microsoft Excel generally drops leading zeroes (0's) in .CSV files. The Empl ID (Employee ID) field is 8 digits, including leading zeroes. You may wish to reformat the Empl ID column to include leading zeroes.
e. For a description of the column headings, refer to Step 12 above.
- If the message, "No Funding Source Available" displays for an active employee's job record number (in Active payroll status), funding should be added in the appointing department before their next payroll period. Otherwise, the employee's salary expense will be distributed to the Payroll Suspense chartfield of Fund 128, Funding Dept PRSUSP, Program code 1, and a direct retro funding distribution (a/k/a salary cost transfer) will be needed to correct the funding retroactively.
- If incorrect funding is listed for an active employee's job record number, you should change their funding in the appointing department via the Funding Data Entry page in HRS before the Payroll Confirmation deadline for their next payroll period.
Note: A Run Control ID is a name assigned to a set of report parameters used to run the report. Once saved, it can be re-used the next time the report is run.
- UW Payroll Calendar
- Earnings Codes for Unclassified, Monthly Paid Employees
- Earnings Codes for Classified, Hourly Employees
- Earnings Codes for Student Hourly Employees
- PY - Pay Group Descriptions
- PY - Pay Basis Descriptions
- FN - Salary Funding Levels Assigned During Payroll Processing
- FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense
- Document 17024 is unavailable at this time.
- Document 20580 is unavailable at this time.
- FN - Run the Funding Change Report
- FN - Run an Appointment Funding Total by Pay Period Report