Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Finance (FN)
FN - View Position Level Funding for Employees' Salary Expense
This document shows how to search and view Position-level funding for one or more Position Numbers, for one or more appointing Departments for the Fiscal Year. Position-level funding is used most efficiently when there are multiple employees in one Position Number (e.g. 45 Lifeguards in Aquatics Department). It means that every employee in that Position Number has the same payroll funding.
During payroll processing, HRS tries to distribute Position-level funding to employees' salary expenses (e.g. earnings, deductions, and taxes, if they do not have Appointment-level funding entered by the Payroll Confirmation deadline.
For more information about the different levels of salary funding and how they are distributed at the time of payroll processing, refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document 21872, Salary Funding Levels Assigned During Payroll Processing.
TIP: You can run the Employee Funding Summary Report in PeopleSoft HRS to identify whether employees have Appointment, Position, or Department-level funding; as well as when employees are without funding. Refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document 17922, HRS Financials - Employee Funding Summary Report.
Before this Procedure: Position-level funding was added previously for the Fiscal Year. [Refer to FN - Add Position Level Funding for Employees' Salary Expense .]
1. From the HRS Main Menu, use navigation path: Set Up HRMS > Product Related > Commitment Accounting > Budget Information > Budget Funding Data Entry.
2. In the Funding Data Entry screen, the Find an Existing Value tab displays searchable fields.
a. The SetID field defaults to SHARE. Leave as is.
b. The Business Unit field defaults to your campus. If your HRS Security allows you to do so, you may select a different Business Unit or campus, if needed.
3. Enter information in the Find an Existing Value tab to search for Position-level funding:
a. In the Department field enter part or all of the 7-character Org/appointing Department (begins with alpha campus code identifier), if known (e.g. A801200).
b. If the 7-character appointing Department field is unknown, or if you wish to search by Division, for multiple Department IDs with Position-level funding for Fiscal Year 2014, see section, Search by Division for Multiple Departments with Position Level Funding in Step 4 below.
Note: You can also use the data lookup icon to locate the desired appointing Department ID.
c. In the Fiscal Year field, enter the current four digit Fiscal Year. This example uses Fiscal Year 2014.
Note: The Fiscal Year begins July 1 and ends on June 30 the following year.
The date range for Fiscal Year 2014 is from July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014.
The date range for Fiscal Year 2015 is from July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015.
The date range for Fiscal Year 2016 is from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016.
The date range for Fiscal Year 2017 is from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017.
d. In the Budget Level field, select Position.
e. In the Position Number field, enter the 8-digit Position number, if known (e.g. 01503758). If unknown, click on the data lookup icon to locate the desired position number.
f. Select the Include History indicator so that a check mark displays. (This allows you to view future, current, and historical funding records for the Position Number during the Fiscal Year).
g. Click Search to display results.
Note: If you receive the message, No matching values were found, this means no Position level funding has been added for the campus, appointing Department, Fiscal Year, and Position Number specified in your search parameters.
4. You can enter your 3-character campus Division code (e.g. A80) to search by Division, for multiple Departments with Position-level funding for the Fiscal Year . (See search example below).
a. When one or more entries meet your search criteria, a Search Results screen displays. (See screenshot below).
b. In the Search Results screen, the Department IDs with Position-level funding are displayed in ascending order. (You can click on any column heading to sort in descending or ascending order). Select the desired Position Number within a Department to display its Position-level funding combination codes for The Fiscal Year.
5. The Funding Data Entry page displays the current (or future dated) Position-level funding for The Fiscal Year for the 8-digit Position Number within the appointing Department. (See screenshot below).
Note: If you searched by Division (or campus) for multiple Departments with Position-level funding, (in Step 4 above), you will see a Previous in List button and a Next in List button at the bottom of the Funding Data Entry screen to help you navigate more easily through the multiple records.
a. The top part of the screen shows the Fiscal Year (e.g. 2014) and Appointing Department (e.g. A801200).
Note: You can distinguish the appointing department from the funding department because the appointing department always has the alpha campus identifier (e.g. A, B, C, etc.). For a list of alpha campus code identifiers, refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document 16632, UWSC Support - List of Campus Code Identifiers .
b. The Budget Data section shows the radio button is selected for Position. This means all employees in this Position Number (e.g. 01503758 - SERF Fitness Consultant) will have Position-level funding distributed to their salary expenses, if they do not have active Appointment level funding for their job record number(s).
(1) The Current Head Count field shows the current number of employees (e.g. 66) and maximum number of employees (e.g. 150) in this specific Position Number (e.g. 01503758 - SERF Fitness Consultant), as listed on the Position Management record.
Note: Position-level funding affects every employee with this Position number.
(2) To display the names of the current employees in the Position Number, click on the New Window hyperlink to open another PeopleSoft HRS session. Navigate to: Organizational Development > Position Management > Maintain Positions/Budgets; enter the 8-digit Position Number to display the HR Position Data record; click on the Budget and Incumbents tab.
c. The Funding Distribution section at the bottom of the screen shows current position-level funding for the number of employees in the Position Number. In this example the funding will remain in effect for the rest of Fiscal Year 2014, unless it is changed.
Note: If you have view-only access, you will be unable to modify current Position-level funding information.
d. In the Funding Distribution section, the Used by Distribution Process indicator displays whether or not a payroll process or salary encumbrance process has distributed the funding combination codes for all employees affected by Position level funding.
(1) If the Used by Distribution Process indicator is checked , this means either a payroll process or a salary encumbrance process has distributed the funding combination codes for employees with Position level funding. (See screenshot below).
(2) If the Used by Distribution Process indicator is unchecked , the Position level funding combination codes have not yet been distributed by payroll or a salary encumbrance process for employees in the Position Number.
Note: This could be because employees in the Position Number have active Appointment level funding which takes precedence over Position level funding.
TIP: You can run the Employee Funding Summary Report in PeopleSoft HRS to identify whether employees have Appointment, Position, or Department-level funding; as well as when employees are without funding. Refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document 17922, FN - Run the Employee Funding Summary Report .
6. To exit from the Funding Data Entry screen, click the Home hyperlink, located at the top right part of the screen.
7. You have successfully searched and displayed current (or future-dated) Position-level funding combination codes for The Fiscal Year, for one or more Position Numbers, for one or more appointing Departments.
Related Job Aids:
Related Funding Reports: