Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Benefits (BN)
BN - WED - Income Continuation Insurance Missing/Incorrect ABBR Report
Income Continuation Insurance (ICI) requires an Annual Benefit Base Rate (ABBR) for the payroll process to accurately calculate the insurance premiums to charge each payroll. This report will return a list of employees with an ABBR of less than $1,000 OR those missing an ABBR for Income Continuation Insurance. When employees are missing an ICI ABBR, the system will revert to annual salary which has not been rounded according to the rules for ICI. Benefit Administrators need to review the employee's job and compensation data and update or add an ABBR accordingly.
- UW ABBR Update Process (UW_BN_ABBRUP) runs nightly Sunday through Thursday.
- The process updates SGL/ICI ABBRs for the following scenarios:
- Employees who are newly hired into a WRS position or rehired into a WRS position (with more than 30 day break)
- If an employee has another appointment added, which makes them eligible for WRS for the first time
- If an employee is hired today with two different appointments, which makes them eligible for WRS for the first time, the process updates both empl_rcds
- The process does NOT update SGL/ICI ABBRs for the following scenarios:
- When a new Empl_rcd is added, if the employee is already enrolled in the WRS
- If an employee changes WRS category (i.e. General to Teacher)
- If the employee has a permanent FTE change
- When an employee turns age 70 and an SGL70 ABBR must be added
- For any Summer Service (V), Summer Session (S), or NON (N) Paygroups.
- ABBR effective date cannot be earlier than the hire date on each Employee Record.
- An ICI ABBR must be added to EVERY active Employee Rcd (Empl_Rcd) to ensure that the ICI premiums will calculate correctly regardless of which Empl_Rcd is marked as the Benefits Primary Record. If you are missing an ABBR for a date other than the initial date WRS eligibility (i.e. an historical row), you will need to use correction to add the effective dated row.
- HRS will NOT recognize a change in ABBR as an event requiring benefits retro to calculate. In the event an ABBR has been changed after a payroll has run, a payline adjustment will be required to pick up the missing premium. Please open a WiscIT and assign it to your AG Group for assistance with paylines. Please note: clicking the WiscIT button will not automatically create a ticket for you in Cherwell.
ANNUAL BENEFIT BASE RATE AMOUNTS:
- First Year: Is based on an estimated annual salary during the first year an
employee is eligible for the WRS. ABBR is effective date of hire.
- Existing Employees: The Annual ICI Process will then update the ABBR each year based on the prior WRS year's earnings.
- Mid-Year: Income Continuation Insurance ABBR's MUST be changed mid-year due to permanent changes in FTE or change in WRS category. For more information about ICI mid-year changes, please visit the Income Continuation Insurance: Annual Base Benefit Rate Rules.
- Transfers: When an employee transfers from another state agency to the UW, the employee must submit an application within 30 days to maintain coverage, but the ABBR is based on UW projected earnings.
1. Log into HRS. The Workflow Exception Dashboard queries will appear based on your current security and whether there is an error to fix.
2. Click on the hyperlink for the UW_BN_ICI_ABBR query.
3. A current list of employees who are missing an ICI ABBR or who have an ABBR of less than $1,000 will be displayed. This list will be refreshed each evening. (Note: Empl_ID's that appear as hyperlinks in the list have more than one error. This often occurs if the employee has a missing or incorrect SGL ABBR as well as the ICI error.)4. Click the Check to Claim checkbox next to the employee you wish to work on. Your name will appear in the Claimed By section with the date and time noted.
5. Click the BN_ANNL_BENEF_BASE hyperlink for the employee you have claimed.
6. The employee's Update ABBR page will be displayed. Click on the magnifying glass icon to select the ABBR type of ICI.
7. To ensure that the correct ABBR is entered, you will need to navigate to the employee's JOB Data pages to obtain the annual salary. Click the "New Window" hyperlink in the top right corner of your screen to open a second window to obtain this data.
8. Navigate to Workforce Administration > Job Information > Job Data and enter the employee's Empl_ID and click Search.
9. On the Work Location Tab verify the employee's WRS eligibility date. In our example, the employee became eligible for WRS as of the Date of Hire.
12. Enter ICI in the Annual Benefit Base Rate Type field. In our example, we are adding an ABBR Type of "ICI" with an Effective Date of "9/8/2016" and an ABBR amount of "36000". (Please note: do not use dollar signs when entering an ABBR. The system will add this for you when you save.) When all information has been added, click the Save button to save the record.
13. To verify that you now have the correct ICI ABBR entered into the system, navigate back to Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Review ABBRs. Enter the employee's ID number in the Empl_ID field and click Search. You should see the ABBR listed with the correct Base Rate Type, Effective Date, and Amount.
Warning! The Annual Benefit Base Rate is based on the estimated annual earnings for the year in which they are initially enrolling for coverage. It will be based on the prior year's reported WRS earnings thereafter. Benefit Administrators should not change an ABBR unless it was entered incorrectly or there has been a permanent FTE change for the employee. Salary changes do not warrant a change in the ICI ABBR.
- TE - WED - Workflow Exception Dashboard
- BN - Annual Benefits Base Rate (ABBR)
- BN - WED - State Group Life Missing/Incorrect ABBR Report