Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Finance (FN)
FN - Mass Funding Update
The Mass Funding Update process is available to each institution when the funding source for a large volume of employees needs to be changed. This document explains the steps necessary to request a Mass Funding Update for an employee’s Appointment-Level funding
- Request should include a minimum of 100 employees.
- Lead Time
- Email requests must be sent to the institutions Affinity Group a minimum three weeks prior to the affected Pay Period Start Date
- Within one week of receiving the request, UW-Shared Services will provide a pre-populated standardized Excel template to the individual making the request
- After review and final updating of the standardized Excel template, it must be re-submitted to UW-Shared Services a minimum of two weeks prior to the final calc and confirm for the first affected pay period
- Within one week of receiving the updated Excel template from the institution, the Mass Funding update will be performed in HRS. A report will be provided to the institution upon completion
- Mass Funding Limitations
- Department or Position Level Funding cannot be created
- If a future effective date is found, funding cannot load
- Funding for an invalid Job (ex: Terminated) cannot be loaded
- Individual data elements cannot be validated; e.g. Inactive Org Dept being used
- If the total distribution percentage is less than 100%, funding cannot load
- If the funding string is not valid for the effective date being used, funding cannot load
Step 1: Submit RequestIf there are at least 100 employees who need their Appointment-Level funding updated, email your institution's Affinity Group requesting a Mass Funding Update; refer to UW Shared Services - Get help from the UWSS Service Operations Support Team
- Email Subject: Mass Funding Update Request
- Email Body: Include general details of the population needing an update.
- Minimum details should include Fiscal Year, Org Department(s) and the targeted Pay Period(s) the update will be effective.
- Providing additional details (Empl Class, etc.) is encouraged.
The email request must be received by UW-Shared Services a minimum of three weeks prior to the targeted Pay Period begin date.
Step 2: Update Excel Template
Within one week of the request, UW-Shared Services will populate the Mass Funding Update Excel template with the employee population based on details provided in the request email.
The Institution will then update the applicable information found under the yellow header on the Excel template. Generally, the EMPLID, EMPL REC, and Business Unit should not change from what was initially listed on the template. However, if the institution needs to update those fields, as well as add or remove employees listed, it is up to their discretion.
Things to note during the template update process:
- Ensure the Fiscal Year (column A) is the appropriate FY
- Ensure the Org Dept ID (column B) is correct AND Active based on the Effective Date (column J) listed in the template
- If the update is the result of an employee’s Org Dept change in Job Data, ensure that the Org Dept ID (column B) and Effective Date (column J) matches the new Org Dept and Effective Date of the change found in Job Data (based on Empl ID and Empl Rec)
- Ensure the funding string being used (columns K-N) is active and is current in SFS based on the Effective Date (column J) being used
- Ensure that the Distribution Percentage (column O) is either 100 OR sums up to 100 if there are multiple funding strings being used for each Org Dept ID / Empl ID / Empl Rec / Effective Date combination listed
Step 3: Return Updated Excel Template
The institution must return the updated Excel template to UW-Shared Services two weeks prior to the targeted Pay Period(s) Final Calc and Confirm date.
Step 4: Process Mass Funding Update
UW-Shared Services will process the Mass Funding Update within one week of receiving the updated Excel template.
Upon completion, UW-Shared Services will email a report listing successful updates and updates not loaded due to error.
The institution has the opportunity to research and potentially manually enter the funding changes prior to the target Pay Period(s) Final Calc and Confirm date.
Below are a list of errors that could occur and prevent a successful update during the Mass Funding Update process:
- FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense
- FN - Finance Report List
- FN - Funding and Direct Retro Security by Campus
- FN - Funding Checklist and Timelines
- FN - Resolving Funding Error Issues
- UW Shared Services - Get help from the UWSS Service Operations Support Team