Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Human Resources (HR)
HR - Create a Position in HRS (Non-Madison)
This procedure shows how to create a new Position in HRS for non-Madison campuses. NOTE: Positions will be used for all Employment Classes (Empl_Classes) except OT1 - OT6 (Other), University Staff Temporary (LTE) (Classified Limited), and SH (Student Hourly). Each 8-digit Position number represents a series of attributes that define location, title, salary grade, department and head count. Special consideration should be given when assigning multiple head counts to a Position. These Special Considerations are noted below.
This user procedure gives step-by-step instructions for creating a Position in HRS for Non-Madison campuses. Positions should be created for all Empl Classes with the exception of University Staff Temporary (LTE), Other (OT1 - OT6) and Student Hourly (SH) employees. Position numbers may either have a one-to-one relationship with a single incumbent or there may be many incumbents connected to the same Position number (such as custodial staff or food service appointments).
Any change made on a Position with multiple incumbents will affect ALL incumbents in that Position; therefore when one incumbent needs a change (i.e. FTE change), they will need to be moved to a different Position number.
For example, there are multiple employees in the full time Custodian Position #00213624 . One of the employees is going on a partial LOA and needs to reduce their FTE to 50%. If the change is made on the full time Custodian Position #00213624, all incumbents in that Position will be reduced to 50%. Therefore, the employee who needs to reduce their FTE to 50% must be moved to a new Position number in order to allow the partial leave of absence to be processed correctly.
From the HRS main Menu, use navigation path: Organizational Development > Position Management > Maintain Positions/Budgets > Add/Update Position Info.
In the Add/Update Position Info screen, click the Add a New Value tab.
Leave the Position Number field "as is" with the eight zeroes displaying. HRS will automatically assign an 8-digit Position Number upon saving.
Click the Add button to continue.
- The Add Position Info Description tab displays default values for your campus/institution.
Position Information Section:
Job Information Section:
- Effective Date (defaults to today's date): The Effective Date of the Position must be equal to or earlier than the Start Date of the employee(s) being hired into the Position in Job Data.
- Status defaults to 'active'. Position may be inactivated when no longer used.
- Initialize button allows you to copy a position from another existing position (see KB 17345 - Copy a Position)
- Reason field defaults to NEW. Do not change this value because NEW is the correct reason when creating a new Position.
Work Location Section:
- Business Unit: select your campus/institution.
- Job Code: enter the appropriate Job Code, if known. If unknown, click on the data lookup icon and search for the Job Code and click on the appropriate value in the drop down list.
- Full/Part Time: 100% is Full-Time and <100% is Part-time.
- After entering the Job Code, HRS fills in the following fields: Reg/Temp, Title, Empl Class, Union Code and Short Title.
- Verify the Job Code indicates the correct title.
- The Title field can be changed to a working title.
- Empl Class (e.g. FA) matches the selected Job Code. If the Empl Class field is blank, click on the drop-down arrow, and select the appropriate Empl Class code. For a list of Empl Class definitions refer to KB 15813.
- Continuity: the Continuity Code is based on the duration of the job as specified in the employee's contract. Click on the drop-down arrow and select the appropriate Continuity Code.
- Pay Basis: The principal condition in terms of time, production or other criteria, along with salary rate, which determines the compensation paid to an employee. Click on the drop-down arrow and select the appropriate Pay Basis. For a list of Pay Basis definitions refer to KB 29426.
Salary Plan Information Section:
- Department: enter the 7-character appointing department which begins with your campus alpha code identifier (e.g. B483300), for more information see KB 16632. If unknown, click on the data lookup icon and search for the appropriate value. After entering the Department, verify that the correct department description displays.
- Location: enter the 5-character Location which begins with your alpha campus code identifier (e.g. B1921). If unknown, click on the data lookup icon and search for the appropriate value. After entering the Location, verify that the correct location description displays.
- Reports To: Optional - enter the Position number of the Supervisor of this Position.
Below the Salary Plan Information section, locate the icon for the USA flag . Click on the black triangle next to the USA flag to expand the section. When expanded, the section displays fields for FLSA Status and Bargaining Unit. (see screenshot below).
- Salary Admin Plan and Grade default based on the Job Code.
- Standard Hours/FTE (full time equivalent) default to 40/full time. If the Standard Hours/FTE field needs to be changed, enter the appropriate Standard Hours for the Position. The FTE will calculate based on the standard hours entered. See KB 18202.
- Lump Sum and Non Paid Positions enter the value of "0.01" in Standard Hours field. The FTE field will correctly default to "0.000250". HRS will not accept 0.00.
- Student Hourly (SH), LTEs (CL) and Academic hourlies need Standard Hours of 0.01.
- Work Period will automatically populate based on Business Unit, Job Code, Empl Class, and Pay Basis previously entered above.
Do not Save until all tabs are completed.
- In the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) Status field, the value will automatically populate, based on previous information entered for the Position. The FLSA Status field indicates whether the Position is exempt from overtime pay or nonexempt.
- To change the FLSA Status, click on the drop-down arrow to select either Exempt or Nonexempt, as required.
Specific Information tab. Default values are shown in the screenshot below.
Budget and Incumbents tab to review headcount
- In the Max Head Count field, HRS shows the default value of one. If there will be multiple incumbents (which is rare for budgeted Positions), enter the appropriate maximum number (greater than one) in the Max Head Count field.
- Verify that the Budgeted Position check box has been checked.
5. Click Save.
- After saving:
- HRS automatically assigns an 8-digit Position Number (e.g. 02069885) on the Description Tab. IMPORTANT: make note of the Position number assigned by HRS to use when hiring in Job Data.
- HRS populates Current Head Count
- Salary Admin Plan and Grade are also populated