Topics Map > PD LEARNING PATH > HR Learning Path
Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Human Resources (HR)
HR - Create a Position in HRS (Non-Madison)
This procedure shows how to create a new Position in HRS. Positions must be used for all Employment Classes except OT1 - OT6 (Other), CL (University Staff Temporary), and SH (Student Hourly). Positions may be used for CL, SH, and OT.
- Any change made on a Position with multiple incumbents will affect ALL incumbents in that Position; therefore, when one incumbent needs a change (i.e. FTE change), that one person will need to be moved to a different Position number.
- Positions can be reused.
- Navigate to: Organizational Development > Position Management > Maintain Positions/Budgets > Add/Update Position Info.
- Click the Add a New Value tab.
- Leave the Position Number field with the eight zeros displaying. HRS will automatically assign an 8-digit Position Number upon saving.
- Click the Add button.
- If necessary, change the Effective Date. The date must be equal to, or earlier than, the Start Date of the employee(s) being hired using the Position in Job Data.
- If necessary, use the look-up icon to select the Business Unit.
- Enter the Job Code or use the lookup icon to select it.
- If necessary, click the drop-down arrow to select Full/Part Time value. 100% is Full-Time and <100% is Part-time.
- The Title field may be changed to a working title.
- Empl Class defaults based on the Job Code. If the field is blank, click the drop-down arrow, and select the appropriate Empl Class code. For a list of Empl Class definitions refer to KB 15813.
- The Continuity is based on the duration of the job as specified in the employee's contract. Click on the drop-down arrow to select the appropriate Continuity Code. See HR - Continuity Status Overview for more information on Continuity.
- Click on the drop-down arrow to select the appropriate Pay Basis. For a list of Pay Basis definitions refer to KB 29426.
- In the Department field, enter the 7-character appointing department or use the data lookup icon to search for and select the appropriate value. The Department begins with the campus alpha code identifier (e.g. D455000). For more information, see KB 26615. After entering the Department, verify that the correct department description displays.
- In the Location field, enter the 5-character code which begins with the alpha campus code identifier (e.g. D2036). If unknown, click the lookup icon to search for and select the appropriate value. After entering the Location, verify that the correct location description displays.
- In the Reports To field, enter the Position number of the Supervisor of this Position.
- Standard Hours defaults to based on job code. If necessary, enter the appropriate Standard Hours for the Position. The FTE will calculate based on the standard hours entered. See KB 18202.
- Work Period will automatically populate based on Business Unit, Job Code, Empl Class, and Pay Basis previously entered above.
- Below the Salary Plan Information section, locate the icon for the USA flag . Click it to expand the section.
- In the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) Status field, the value will automatically populate, based on previous information entered for the Position. The FLSA Status field indicates whether the Position is exempt from overtime pay or nonexempt. To change the FLSA Status, click the drop-down arrow to select either Exempt or Nonexempt, as required.
- Click the Specific Information tab.
- In the Max Head Count field, enter the appropriate maximum number for this position.
- Verify that the Budgeted Position check box has been checked.
- Click Save.
- After saving:
- HRS automatically assigns an 8-digit Position Number (e.g. 02069885). IMPORTANT: make note of the Position number assigned by HRS to use when hiring in Job Data.
- HRS populates Current Head Count
- Salary Admin Plan and Grade are also populated
- To copy an existing Position, KB 17345
- HR - Hire Using a Position
- HR - Empl Class Overview
- PY - Pay Basis Descriptions
- HR - Summary of Campus Codes used in Location / Appointing Department / Academic or Summer Pay Groups
- HR - Continuity Status Overview
- HR - FTE to Standard Hours Conversion Table