The University needs to enforce the Tax Sheltered Annuity program's annual limits determined by Internal Revenue Code (IRC) section 402(g) and 415(c). All employees eligible for the Tax Sheltered Annuity program can contribute up to the annual limit. Certain employees may also be eligible for two additional increase options based on years of service and age. Employees can be eligible for both increase options at the same time. When an employee requests to maximize his or her contribution to the 403(b) plans, years of service must be reviewed prior to making any changes to their records.
1. Navigate to: Workforce Administration > Job Information > Job Data
2. Enter the Employee's ID number and click Search
3. Click the Job Information tab
4. Verify the Empl Class for this job for this employee (see ineligible empl classes listed above)
5. If the Empl Class is ineligible for counting toward service years, click the Employment Data link at the bottom of the page
6. Look at the Original Start Date field to determine the number of years the employee has held this position
NOTE: With the conversion of data from the old Legacy system to PeopleSoft, all employees' First Start Date defaulted to 02/10/2011. DO NOT USE THIS DATE. You will need to do further research to verify the correct Original Start Date with the UW.
1. Navigate to: Benefits > Enroll in Benefits > Savings Management
2. Enter the employee's ID number
3. Click the Search button
4. Click 403(b) Adjust hyperlink for the calendar year to be updated
5. Select the Override Service Years Calc check box
6. Enter updated Service Years YTD (Year to Date) and/or
7. Enter updated Service Years LTD (Life to Date)
8.Click the OK button
Warning! The Wisconsin Deferred Compensation (457 Plan) Plan has different annual limits. Please visit the WDC Website for more information regarding those limits.