Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > Reference
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Time and Labor (TL)
TL - Getting Started with Time Approval through the Portal
This document defines when a Time Reporter's time will display in the portal versus when it will not.
General DescriptionManagers, Supervisors and other Time Approvers need to know that the MyUW Madison and MyUW System portal is not intended to display all employees (time reporters) in the Manager Time and Approval app of the portal. This document defines when a Time Reporter's time will be displayed in the MyUW Madison or MyUW System portal versus when it will not.
Before using the guide, employee should know the following:
There are two MyUW portals, MyUW Madison and MyUW System, which provide all UW employees access to their Personal, Time and Labor, Absence, Payroll, and Benefit information applications (app). Each app displays personalized employee information in the Human Resources System (HRS), as well as links to HRS-Self Service modules and Help information.
UW-Madison: Employee's can access the MyUW Madison portal at https://my.wisc.edu/ using their UW-Madison NETID username and password. On the MyUW Madison portal, the Approve Payable Time page can be accessed through the Approve Payable Time link located on the Manager Time and Approval app.
All UW: Employees can access the MyUW System portal at https://my.wisconsin.edu/ using their UW Institutional ID username and password. On the MyUW System portal, the Approve Payable Time page can be accessed through the Approve Payable Time Link located on the Manager Time and Approval app.
When does an Employee's (Time Reporter) time appear in the MyUW Madison or MyUW System portal?
- A Time Reporter's name and time will appear if it is in need of approval so that the employee is paid.
The screen capture below is an example of a Manager/Supervisor who has employee's that are awaiting approval of their time.
When does an Employee's (time reporter's) time not appear in the portal for a Manager/Supervisor?
- The Time Reporter has not submitted time for approval
- The Time Reporter has submitted their time but the Time Admin job has not run yet.
- The Time Admin job is scheduled to run at 4a, 9a, 11a, 1p, 3p and around 8p each day.
- The Time Reporter's time has already been approved by a manager/supervisor.
- Remember that a supervisor, back-up supervisor, payroll coordinator may have already approved the submitted time.
- Get started with your time approval by using the Approve Payable Time link located on the MyUW Madison Manager Time and Approval app or the MyUW System Manager Time and Approval app. The Manager Time and Approval app is simply a window into the approval actions that you need to take as a Manager/Supervisor. A Manager/Supervisor's approval actions will begin with clicking the Approve Payable Time link at the bottom of the Manager Time and Approval app on your MyUW Madison or MyUW System portal. For further information on approving Payable Time from within HRS after clicking this link, please refer to KB TL - Approve Payable Time.
It's important to note that even within the HRS Approve Payable Time page itself, the only employees that will display are those that have actually submitted time for approval. Employees that haven't submitted time will not display.