UWMSN - JEMS HIRE - Introduction to System
[Doc 18151 is unavailable at this time.]
Introduction to JEMS Hire.
Category: Academic Staff (AS), Faculty (FA), Limited Appointees (LI), Student Assistants (SA), Post Degree in Training (ET), Other (OT).
Audience: Department and Division staff who enter appointments
Overarching Process: Hiring into AS, FA, LI, SA, ET, and OT appointments
Jump to Procedure Steps (below)
Jump to Related Policies/Job Aids (below)
This knowledge base document provides an overview of the Job Employment and Management System (JEMS) Hire portal. It also provides details about functions/tabs that are used on any hire, rehire, transfers, or multiple hires made in the JEMS Hire portal.
Main Menu Screen
From this screen the following functions are available
- Click the Hire/Transfer button to start a newhire or transfer (used for transactions that do not require open recruitment or have approved waivers).
- Click the Summer Hire
button to create a summer session/service appointment for a currently
active C-Basis employee who will be on a "Short Work Break" from their
academic year appointment.
- Click the My New Hire Basket
button to see the Hire/Transfer employee records requiring review or
completing hire transactions that require open recruitment.
- Exit out of the System
JEMS System Search - Quick Search Tab
By clicking the My New Hire Basket button, the below screen appears.
- The first time logging into the JEMS HIRE portal, a default
search profile is set-up. The default is composed of the assigned
Department/Division authorization with the 'Current Status" of 'Draft'.
This default it also loaded into the Quick Search Criteria and will
automatically populate anyone in this status. If there are no records in
this status then the following message appears: 'No Records Were
- To change the default click the Change My Profile button (middle of screen) and update.
first tab on the User Profile screen stores the default into the 'My
Basket' default criteria (example below). See 'Helpful Hints' below for
suggestions on recommended settings.
- Department Level Staff
- Set the 'Current Status' to default to <Blank> to see all
department employees that are in JEMS Hire at the various statuses.
- Division Level Staff -
Set the Current Status to default to <Department Approved> to see
what is in your basket that needs review and immediate attention.
- The second tab on the User Profile screen stores contact data. This data can be used to populate fields on the HR Contact tab.
JEMS System Search - Advanced Search Tabs
The Advanced Search
function provides several additional criteria that can be used to
locate a JEMS Hire records. Search for records in more than one status
by selecting multiple options in the Multiple Selection Criteria
The Search Results can be viewed online or printed as a .pdf (Adobe
Acrobat viewer required) or spreadsheet format (Excel application
Find/Add Hire Tab
- Fill in one or more of the fields (Empl ID, Name, SSN#) in the top search section.
- Click the Search button to search the system (searching in JEMS uses information from IADS, EPM and HRS).
- Check the Select box next to the person you would like to use (Review HRS - UW Multiple Jobs Summary to select correct person).
- Add in the "Recruitment Type", PVL# (if applicable)
- Click Add Hire button.
HR Contact Tab
- This tab stores information about one or more person(s) who may
be contacted about the appointment (additional contacts can be listed).
- Start with clicking the Add Contact button to add or modify the entry fields in the bottom portion of the screen.
- Paid positions require a primary and funding contact.
- Zero dollar positions require a primary contact.
| Data|| Description|
| Contact Type (required)|| Select primary (required on all appointments, funding (required on paid appointments), or additional)|
| Last Name (required)|| Last Name|
| First Name (required)|| First Name|
| Phone|| Phone (format - xxx-xxx-xxxx)|
| Email Address|| Primary contact email address|
| Get My Contact Data|| Defaulted information from Update my Profile screen|
| FUNCTION|| DESCRIPTION / INSTRUCTION|
| To Add Comment|| Click the Add Comment button|
| To Edit/View|| Click the comment to update and click the Edit/View button|
| To Delete Comment|| Click the comment to delete and click the Delete Comment button (can only delete comments you created)|
Status History Tab
The data on this tab is not modifiable. It displays
the history of statuses that a particular hire has had. Anyone with
update or view access can view the status history of the appointment.
Statuses are shown in descending order.
Possible Statuses shown in workflow order:
- Department Approved
- Division Approved – Sent to HRS
- Finished – Entered In HRS
Drop Down Menu - "Actions" and "Tools"
The <Actions> menu is used to change the status of the hire
record. Grey-ed out statuses are unavailable to the user. REJECT will
return the Hire record to the prior status. This does not send out an
email to the previous person who submitted the hire transaction.
- Error Check Current Status -- use this selection to find any errors on the Hire record without changing the status
Check Next Status -- Each status has requirements for data completion.
For example, there are data fields that must be completed before the
record advances past Department level. In addition, there are data
fields that must be completed by the Division before submission to HRS.
Use this selection to find any errors one would encounter if trying to
advance the status of the Hire record without requesting a status
Related Job Aids
Related HRS Knowledge Base Documents