You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
Instructions for Paper Applications
1. Determine if the employee has turned in an HDHP application and an HSA Application.
- A WED report will capture HDHP/HSA discrepancies and affected institutions will be notified by the UW-Shared Services. Institutions will need to follow up with the employee to make sure an HSA application is completed and received timely. Verify that the employee signs page 5 of the HSA application as this can be missed.
2. Determine if the employee is eligible for the HDHP option of the State Group Health insurance plan. All of the following must be true:
- Employee is eligible for the State Group Health insurance plan AND
- Employee is not eligible for the Graduate Assistant/Short-Term Academic Staff benefits program AND
- Employee is not enrolled in Medicare, TRICARE, or other health insurance AND
- Employee is not a dependent of another person for tax purposes AND
- Employee or any covered dependents are not currently enrolled in the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Medical plan, or another family member's FSA Medical plan.
3. If the employee has submitted paper applications, enter the HDHP and HSA enrollment following Enrolling, Changing, or Canceling Coverage Using On Demand Event Maintenance in HRS and
write the Effective Date of the HDHP/HSA at the top of the HSA
Best practice is enter elections in HRS for the HDHP and the HSA at the same time when you have both applications in hand.
4. File the original HDHP application in employee’s file and send a copy of the application to the UWSS Service Operations.
5. Verify the enrollments after you have completed HRS entry by following: Review Benefit Enrollments in HRS
Instructions for Entering an HSA Election Change
1. Add an FSA Event to the BAS Activity Table following: Adding Events to the BAS Activity Table in HRS
2. Navigate to: Benefits > Manage Automated Enrollment > Events > On Demand Event Maintenance
3. Schedule and Prepare the Event
4. Click the Election Entry button
5. Please fill in the Enrollment Code, Enrollment Reason and App Received Date appropriately. Please see Overview of Enrollment Codes and Reasons Job Aid for HRS
for more information.
6. Scroll down to Plan Type 67 and use the magnifying glass to locate the HSA plan that corresponds to the employee's HDHP election.
7. Enter the new annual HSA election from their enrollment form.
If this is a 9 month employee with an override, you will need to calculate the new override by taking the new annual pledge and dividing that by the number of payrolls remaining in the year minus the summer months of June, July, and August.
8. Click the calculate button to calculate the Per Pay Period amount.
9. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the OK button to return to the On Demand screen.
10. Click the Validate/Finalize button.
The UW-Shared Services will calculate and enter the Employer contribution for the HSA. The employee will receive the Employer contribution prorated throughout the remainder of the year.
- Single HDHP: $750/year, prorated at $62.50/month
- Example: Coverage starts 3/1 (March through December coverage= 10 months * $62.50/mo)
- Family HDHP: $1500/year, prorated at $125/month
- Example: Coverage starts 3/1 (March through December coverage= 10 months * $125/mo)
- FTE < 1044 Hours: When the employee’s FTE is less than 1044 hours (50%), they will only receive ½ of the ER Contribution, prorated.
- Example: Employee is 40%, so is only eligible for ½ of the employer contribution. Employee will receive $375/year for Single HDHP plan, or $750/year for Family HDHP plan, pro-rated ($31.25/month for Single HDHP plan, or $62.50/month for Family HDHP plan).
To the top
- Click HERE to contact UW Shared Services - Service Operations Department or HERE for the UWSS IT HelpDesk if you have any issues with these instructions.