HR - UPS Voluntary Reassignment Process (Univ Staff to Academic Staff/Limited)
Effective August 1 2015, exempt University Staff employees at the University of Wisconsin can volunteer to be reassigned to an Academic Staff or Limited appointment type. Triggered by the HRS HR Job row, several downstream HRS modules are impacted by this reassignment. This KB describes the entire HRS process for the voluntary reassignment from University Staff to Academic Staff or Limited. It is designed to address the high-level activities that need to be performed in order to implement the reassignment in HRS in a single KB. The KB also references more detailed KBs and other reference materials that are relevant to this process.
- Voluntary Reassignments are always processed for a future date.
To the top
- Employee voluntarily decides to be reassigned to Academic Staff/Limited
- Institution HR makes the Position change and corresponding Job update
- Institution HR notifies the institution payroll unit of the employee reassignment
- Decision Point: Does the employee have active general deductions?
- Yes: Institution payroll unit stops the general deductions from taking from the employee's last biweekly paycheck (completed prior to the confirm of the last biweekly check)
- If applicable, institution payroll unit adjusts the deductions to reflect the new amount for the first monthly payroll (completed after the confirm of the last biweekly paycheck and prior to the confirm of the first monthly check). Proceed to step 5.
- No: Proceed to step 5
- Institution HR adds an E40 FA/AS/LI employee work schedule to the employee
- A benefit event corresponding to the previous Job update is created and prepared
- Institution benefits administrator is notified of the pending benefits eligibility change via the Miscellaneous Event Evaluation (MSC) Report
- Institution benefits administrator reviews the employee's benefit enrollments
- Institution benefits administrator finalizes the Voluntary Reassignment benefit event
- Decision Point: Is the employee enrolled in ICI, FSA/HSA, or Savings (TSA or WI Deferred Compensation) plans?
- Yes: Employee completes the appropriate benefit forms to change plans and/or update the per payroll contribution
- Institution benefit administrator process the received applications. Proceed to step 11
- No: Proceed to step 11
- Decision Point: Is the institution credentialed to enter benefit paylines?
- Yes: Institution benefits unit stops the benefit deductions from the last biweekly payroll. Proceed to step 13
- No: Institution benefits unit sends an email to its Service Center Affinity Group to create a Voluntary Reassignment ticket. Ticket Category: UWSC HR; Subcategory: UPS - Voluntary Reassignment. Proceed to step 12
- Service Center Affinity Group stops the benefit deductions from taking from the last biweekly payroll and emails a reply to the institution requesting the Absence Management Voluntary Reassignment form
Institution absence management unit removes all future-dated absence takes for the former University Staff job
Institution absence management unit completes the Absence Management Voluntary Reassignment form and attaches the form to the Voluntary Reassignment ticket. If the Voluntary reassignment ticket does not already exist, the institution absence management unit sends an email with the attached Absence Management Voluntary reassignment form to its Service Center Affinity group to create the ticket
The Service Center Affinity Group process all leave balance transfers as needed
The Service Center Affinity Group closes the Voluntary Reassignment ticket and notifies the institution
End of process