Topics Map > ARROW > Access
Accessing ARROW for External Personnel Engaged in Research: UW-Madison is Serving as IRB of Record
Who are external personnel engaged in research AND for whom UW-Madison is serving as IRB of record?These are external personnel who do NOT have an appointment or affiliation with UW-Madison, UW Health, and/or the Madison VA Hospital, but are engaged in human subjects research for a study where UW-Madison has agreed to serve as their IRB of record. These will often be collaborators from other institutions that have agreed to rely on UW-Madison to provide IRB oversight or who are not affiliated with an institution with an IRB.
How do external personnel access ARROW?Anyone wanting to access ARROW needs a net ID and password. See Accessing ARROW and Net ID Process for guidance on how to obtain a net ID.
How can external personnel access studies in ARROW after they have a net ID and password?For external personnel engaged in research under UW-Madison IRB purview, study teams must do the following to allow them access to a study:
- A change of protocol must be submitted to describe the role of the external personnel in the study and request that UW-Madison serve as IRB of record.
- If UW-Madison approves the request to serve as IRB of record, no additional action can be taken by the study team pending notification from the IRB that appropriate IRB of record agreements have been finalized.
Can study teams use the Edit External Personnel activity to add external personnel engaged in human subjects research for whom UW-Madison is serving as IRB of record?No. Please follow the steps outlined above to add these types of external personnel. Do NOT use the Edit External Personnel to add these types of external personnel.
- Please note that the process for accessing ARROW and the need for IRB approvals differs for external personnel not engaged in research or engaged in research, but for whom UW-Madison is NOT serving as IRB of record. See below for additional resources.
- If you have questions about the IRB of record process or collaborating with external personnel, please contact the HS IRBs’ Reliance Team (email@example.com) for assistance.
- Accessing ARROW and the NetID Process
- Accessing ARROW for External Personnel Not Engaged in Research
- Accessing ARROW for External Personnel Engaged in Research: UW-Madison is Not Serving as IRB of Record
- NetID and Training Requirements for External Personnel When the Health Sciences IRBs Are IRB of Record