Topics Map > ARROW > General
Requesting IRB Reliance through the UnityPoint Health - Meriter & UW IRB Partnership
Version Date: Revised April 2015
What is the UW-Meriter IRB Partnership?
The UW-Meriter IRB Partnership allows study teams to have a single IRB of record for eligible studies rather requiring review by both the UW and Meriter IRBs. To determine if your study qualifies for review by a single IRB, please review Guidance on the the UnityPoint Health - Meriter & UW IRB Partnership .
How can I submit a request to use the UW-Meriter IRB Partnership?
If Meriter will be the likely IRB of record for your study, study teams will not need to submit anything through ARROW. All IRB forms, including the request to rely on Meriter's IRB and the IRB application, will be completed through Meriter’s online submission system, iRIS. Please see Instructions for Using the UnityPoint Health - Meriter & UW IRB Partnership.
If UW will be the likely IRB of record for your study, this request will be submitted through ARROW.
How do I request the UW serve as IRB of record for Meriter in ARROW?
After you have determined that your study qualifies for the UW-Meriter IRB Partnership and that the UW will likely be the IRB of Record, you will complete the remaining steps in ARROW:
- Create a new application in ARROW
- Complete the General Study Information Section as appropriate. Please remember that any Meriter personnel will need to be listed on the study teams page. See guidance on obtaining a NetID, if necessary: Accessing ARROW and the NetID Process
- In section 2: Application Type, select Initial Review Application: Full review or Initial Review Application: Non-exempt medical records review. Exemptions are not currently eligible for deferral through UW-Meriter IRB Partnership.
- Complete Section 3: Study Location in the following manner:
- On the Study Location: General page, answer "yes" to question 1.1 Is this a multi-site study? In most cases, you will also answer "yes" to question 1.1.1 and 22.214.171.124 (Is UW the coordinating center). If you do not feel this is accurate for your study, answer as appropriate and include any additional information in response to question 126.96.36.199. Answer "no" to question 1.2. [If study activities will occur outside the US, the study is not eligible for deferral through the UW-Meriter IRB Partnership.]
- The next page will be "Multi-Site: UW-Madison or Madison VA (Wm. S. Middleton Hospital) Serving as IRB of Record". Answer "yes" to question 2.1. Select "Meriter Hospital" in 2.1.1
- You also will see the Request for UW-Madison to Serve as IRB of Record: Individual Affiliated With Meriter Hospital section. On this page, you will need to upload a copy of the request form: Meriter-UW Partnership IRB Request Form. This will complete the request for Meriter Hospital to cede IRB review to the UW.
- Complete the remaining pages of the application and submit to the IRB application as normal.
- Study teams will be informed that of any outstanding issues and if their request has been approved during the IRB pre-review process.