Topics Map > ARROW
Topics Map > IRB Reliance & Collaborative Research > Reliance Basics
Topics Map > IRB Reliance & Collaborative Research > Partners
How to Submit an IRB of Record Request
The HS-IRBs may agree to serve as IRB of record for external sites or personnel (including collaborators) engaged in human subjects research. Study teams who wish to request the HS-IRBs serve as IRB of record must submit a formal request.
Version date: September 2018
What is the process for requesting the HS-IRBs to serve as IRB of record?Step 1: Review HS-IRBs Guidelines for Serving as IRB of Record to determine whether the HS-IRBs are likely to consider serving as IRB of record. If you have any questions about whether the UW can serve as IRB of record, please contact the Health Sciences IRBs Reliance Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance before submitting an application. Step 2: If you determine UW-Madison may serve as IRB of record, create a new IRB application or change of protocol in ARROW. Complete the first section of the IRB application in ARROW as you would for any other study. Step 3: When you reach the Study Location section of the application, please use the following guidelines for completing it:
- In response to question 1.2, answer “Yes” to indicate you are requesting UW-Madison serve as the reviewing IRB for external sites or personnel.
- In response to question 1.2.1, check the appropriate box(es) to indicate if you are requesting UW-Madison serve as reviewing IRB for external sites (e.g., university, community hospital) and/or individuals (e.g., people working with community organizations). You may select both options if appropriate for your study.
- You will then be branched to the appropriate page of the application to provide details about the external sites or personnel.
- As of October 1, 2018, study teams are no longer required to obtain netIDs to list external personnel in the IRB application. Instructions on how to provide information about external personnel are included in the ARROW application or you can contact the HS IRBs' Reliance Team for assistance.
- In the IRB application and protocol, study teams must address several issues regarding the involvement of sites and collaborators outside the UW-Madison/UW Health/Madison VA. Please see IRB Application Guidance for Multisite and Collaborative Research Studies and protocol guidance for details.
- Preparing an IRB application involving an IRB of record request and multisite research issues can take additional time. Study teams are advised to plan accordingly and consult with the HS-IRBs' Reliance Team when preparing the IRB application.