Topics Map > ARROW > General
Using the Record Human Subjects Training Snapshot Activity in ARROW
How to use the Human Subjects Training Snapshot activity to ensure PIs, POCs and Key Personnel have adequate training
What is the Record Human Subjects Training Snapshot activity?The Record Human Subjects Training Snapshot activity allows study teams to check the human subjects research certification dates for the PI, points of contact, and anyone listed on the study team page.
Why is the Record Human Subjects Training Snapshot activity needed?Previously, the only way to check the human subjects research certification dates for their study team members was to look each person up individually in the campus lookup system. To make the process more efficient and improve compliance with campus training requirements, this new activity has been added to allow study teams to check training status for the entire study team within ARROW.
When should study teams use the Record Human Subjects Training Snapshot activity?The Record Human Subjects Training Snapshot is available to study teams in several places in the IRB workflow. Study teams are advised to use this activity at the following times:
- Before submitting any new IRB application
- Before submitting a personnel change to add personnel
- Before submitting a full change of protocol to change the PI
What types of training will the Record Human Subjects Training Snapshot display?The Record Human Subjects Training Snapshot will display training dates for the following types of training:
- UW-Madison/CITI Biomedical Human Subjects Research Course
- UW-Madison/CITI Social-Behavioral Human Subjects Research Course
- VA Human Subjects Research Course
- UW Good Clinical Practice Course
How does the Record Human Subjects Training Snapshot activity work?To check the human subjects research certification dates in ARROW, click on the Record Human Subjects Training Snapshot activity on the left side of the submission workspace. After you click this link, a pop up box will appear. Click OK to record the snapshot of training dates. After clicking OK, the History tab will update with a link to the human subjects research training dates for all study team members listed in the IRB application. Click on the link in the History tab to view the training dates.
Will the activity show which study team members have not completed human subjects research training or whose training certification has expired?If individuals on the study team have not completed human subjects research training or if their training certification has expired, a brief statement in the History tab will indicate who on the study team does not have the required training. To see the training dates ARROW has listed in the training database, click on the “Click here to view human subjects training snapshot” link in the History tab to see the full list of training dates for all study team members. A blank space instead of a date indicates that the person has not completed the required training. The system also recognizes expired training, and will list that date as applicable.
Will the Record Human Subjects Training Snapshot activity replace the VCRGE lookup system?No. Training status information will still be available through the campus lookup system: https://my.gradsch.wisc.edu/lookups/citi/trainingStatus.html
What if training information for a study team member appears to be inaccurate or incomplete in the Snapshot list?
- Did you previously take UW-Madison CITI training without a NetID? How to request a merger of your new NetID account with your completed training account.
- Did you previously take CITI human subjects training at another institution? How to get credit against the UW-Madison CITI human subjects training for training you previously took at another institution.
- If you are still having problems getting the training snapshot to accurately reflect the correct date, please email email@example.com for assistance--include the person's name, the study number you are trying to add them to, and a snapshot of the training database record for them (see above for a link to the campus lookup system)