Topics Map > News and Updates > Newsletters
HS-IRBs News April 2014
Health Sciences and Minimal Risk IRBs, IRB News / Volume 6, Number 4, April 2014
Coming Soon: Greater Plains Collaborative IRB Partnership
UW-Madison is a founding member of another new IRB partnership, the Greater Plains Collaborative (GPC). Other GPC members include the Children's Mercy Hospital (Missouri), University of Iowa, University of Kansas Medical Center, Marshfield Clinic, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Minnesota Academic Health Center, University of Nebraska Medical Center, University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio, and the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. The IRBs from these institutions are currently developing a reciprocal IRB deferral agreement that will allow GPC studies to be reviewed by a single IRB of record. More information about the GPC and the IRB review process will be provided in future newsletters. If you have questions about the GPC's IRB partnership, please contact Carol Pech (email@example.com).
IRB Fees and Student or Trainee ProjectsIRB fees are assessed based on the application type, funding associated with the study, and whether the study is primarily a student or trainee project. For a study to be considered primarily a student or trainee project, the project would only be undertaken because of the student's or trainee's involvement. If the project would be conducted regardless of the student's or trainee's involvement, the study does NOT constitute a student or trainee project. Please see the UW-Madison Fee Schedule for additional information.
Reminder: Self-Certification Tool for Not Research and Quality Improvement Projects The HS IRBs office has developed a Research Decision Tool that can provide researchers with a certification indicating that a project does
not require IRB review and oversight. Researchers are strongly
encouraged to use this tool before submitting a not research exemption
application through ARROW. The certification provided by the research decision tool can be provided with journal or conference submissions in lieu of a formal IRB determination. For assistance with using the research decision tool, please see the IRB QI/Program Evaluation Self-Certification Tool Guidance.
Register Now for IRB for Beginners WorkshopsRegistration is now open for the next sessions of the IRB for Beginners workshop. The 90-minute workshop is held in the HSLC computer lab and gives participants a first-hand view of the resources available on the HS-IRBs' website as well as basic tools and tips for the ARROW submission system. The workshop will also introduce participants to the IRB’s review process and procedures. This workshop is designed to help people who are new to the HS-IRBs review process.
This workshop is scheduled for the following dates:
Registration is required. Please email Brooke Mechelke (firstname.lastname@example.org) to reserve your spot. Space is limited.
ARROW Outages April 26th and May 4th
ARROW will be offline for scheduled maintenance on Saturday April 26th from 1PM to 5PM and on Sunday, May 4th from 6:30AM to 9AM. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Urgent issues (e.g., subject safety concerns), please call our main line (608-263-2362) and ask to speak with the staff reviewer on call for the day. Please do NOT use email for these kinds of questions.
- General IRB questions, please call our main line (608-263-2362) to speak with the staff reviewer on call or email email@example.com. These are the quickest ways to get help with general questions.
- Specific questions regarding the status of your review and/or reviewer notes, please contact the staff reviewer assigned to your application.
- Help with single IRB review and reliance questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assistance with ARROW or technical questions, email email@example.com.
- Newsletter and other IRB updates, please sign up for the general HS-IRBs listserv by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consultations: For investigators seeking assistance on a specific program or application, HS-IRBs staff are available for individual consultations. To request a consultation, complete the HS-IRBs Presentation and Consultation Request Form.
- Presentations: The HS-IRBs office is available to provide the research community with presentations and trainings on a variety of topics. To request a presentation, complete the HS-IRBs Presentation and Consultation Request Form.