Topics Map > ARROW > Access
Guidance on Obtaining a UW-Madison NetID for a Non-UW User
Instructions for requesting and activating your UW-Madison NetID
How do I request a NetID?
A NetID is required for someone to be listed as a study team member in an IRB application and to access ARROW. Study team members without a NetID (e.g., non-UW collaborators for whom the UW is serving as IRB of record) may request one. Study teams should use the online request form to request a NetID. A NetID request can be submitted by the person needing a NetID or by another member of the study team.
UW-Madison requires the following information be provided about people requesting a NetID:
- Employer/Institutional affiliation
- Full legal name including a middle initial
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Reason for requesting a NetID
- Title and PI name of the protocol
- Name and contact information on the requester if it is different than the ARROW user
After the NetID request is submitted, the HS IRBs office reviews the information and may request additional clarification from the study team before forwarding the request to our campus partners to obtain a campus ID from UW-Madison.
What steps should be followed to activate my NetID
Step 1: The first step in activating a NetID is obtaining a campus ID. A campus ID is a different from a NetID and is needed in order to securely activate a NetID. The HS IRBs office typically receives a campus ID for each person requesting a NetID within one – two weeks of the request. After the HS IRBs office receives a campus ID, it will send the campus ID to the person requesting a NetID (and requester, if applicable) with instructions about how to activate their NetID.
Step 2: After a campus ID has been received, users can activate their NetID through the following activation website, https://www.mynetid.wisc.edu/activate. To verify your identity, the following information will be requested to activate your NetID:
- ID number/Campus ID
- Date of birth
Follow the brief instructions on the activation website and choose a password. After the password has been set, the assigned NetID can then be used to access ARROW and to list someone as a study team member in the IRB application.
Who may I contact for any questions regarding this process?
- To check on the status of a NetID request, please email email@example.com with the name and approximate date of the request
- If someone has forgotten their NetID, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the user name.
- To re-set your password,
- Please provide the user name, NetID and date of birth to the HS IRBs office through email@example.com. The HS IRBs office will be able provide the user the Campus ID number.
- Contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 with your NetID and campus ID number to re-set the password.