Topics Map > News and Updates > Newsletters
HS IRBs News September 2019
Health Sciences and Minimal Risk IRBs, IRB News/Volume 11, Number 8, September 2019
Coming Soon: New Funding Page in ARROW
The October 5th ARROW update will include significant changes to the funding pages in ARROW, including:
- An improved funding chooser to make it easier for researchers to locate funding sources
- Reduced number of pages about funding – most study teams will only see one page!
- For VA funding, reduced number of questions
- New branching around the ICTR Scientific Review Committee page for studies with eligible federal funding
Please see the revised “Completing the Funding Page” help document for more information.
Reliance and Navigation Team (RELIANT) Updates
- Centralized reliance service: In cooperation with the ED/SBS IRB Office, IRB reliance services are being centralized under RELIANT to provide a single point of contact for all researchers on campus seeking assistance with reliance arrangements.
- Retiring the Central IRB Gateway KB page: To better streamline information about using external IRBs, the Central IRB Gateway KB page will soon be retired. All relevant content from that page has been migrated to the Single IRB Basics page.
- UnityPoint Health Meriter and Swedish American: While UW Health has partnership agreements with both organizations, these do not encompass human subjects research and each entity still has its own IRB. If you are interested in conducting research at either site (including using or accessing medical records), please contact RELIANT (firstname.lastname@example.org) for help.
Upcoming Educational Opportunities
- The HS IRBs will be offering the “Understanding the Common Rule and the HS IRBs Submission Process” workshop, covering the Common Rule and what the IRB is looking for in their review, how to navigate the ARROW application system, and resources available to assist researchers with their submissions. The next presentation will be Wednesday, October 9th from 1PM to 2PM in room 1309 of the Health Sciences Learning Center. Please register through the online catalog and look for this session under the Health Sciences IRBs category.
- The Professional Research Education Program (PREP) also will be offering the following sessions (register through the online catalog under Professional Research Education Program category):
- “Study Initiation – Using the Clinical Research Infrastructure and Resources” will be held September 24th from 11AM-Noon in 1335 HSLC.
- “Single IRB Review” will be held Wednesday, October 9th from 1PM to 2PM in1335 HSLC.
- “Introduction to the new ClinicalTrials.gov Service Line at UW” will be held Wednesday, October 23rd from 1PM to 2PM in 1335 HSLC.
- Researcher Regulatory Fair will be Tuesday, October 29th from 11AM to 1:30PM, with representatives from the key compliance areas on hand to answer your questions, including Jackie and Lara from our office. Free snacks!
Reminders: Funding and ICTR SRC FAQ
ICTR Scientific Review Committee (ICTR SRC) review requirements have been relaxed to allow study teams greater flexibility on when to submit their IRB application when they have funding that is pending, but not yet awarded. Please see this FAQ for details on these important improvements.