Last updated: March 25, 2020
This webpage has been created to share the answers to COVID-19-related questions. It will be updated frequently. See below for HS IRBs communications regarding COVID-19.
- UW-Madison is providing its COVID-19 updates here.
- Guidance on tools for exchanging and/or storing protected health information (PHI) can be found at the bottom of the HIPAA page. If you have question about this guidance, please contact your HIPAA security and privacy coordinator for assistance.
- COVID-19 related-guidance for clinical trials research can be found here.
- Research and Sponsored Programs (RSP) also has information on COVID-19’s impact on sponsored research, including links to federal agencies.
- The Pharmaceutical Research Center (PRC)'s FAQ can be found here.
Last updated: 03.25.2020, 1:22 PM CDT
COVID-19 Questions Answered
- Are the IRBs Offices operating as usual?
- Are the IRBs prioritizing reviews of submissions? (added 3.16.2020)
- Do all human subjects regulations apply as usual during this pandemic?
- What is the IRB review process for COVID-19 research?
- Can I still interact with my study subjects?
- What about study enrollment? (added 3.16.2020)
- What if I decide to temporarily halt study visits?
- How do I modify my study so study visits can occur remotely?
- Do I need to revise my consent documents to reflect the risks of COVID-19 if in-person study interaction will still occur? (added 3.16.2020)
- What about effects on enrollment goals?
- What is the process for single patient emergency use and expanded access protocols?
- What about studies for which the UW is serving as the reviewing IRB? (added 3.17.2020)
- What about studies reviewed by a non-UW-Madison IRB? (added 3.17.2020)
- What information should be included in new information reports about halts to study visits/procedures? (added 3.19.2020)
- What if researchers have an Initial Review application for a non-COVID-19 study currently under review? (added 3.24.2020)
- What information should I include in my COVID-19-related change of protocol?
- Should I submit a New Information report or a Change of Protocol for my COVID-19-related protocol updates?