UW Digital ID (Personal Certificate) - Downloading My Digital Certificate through Comodo
This document outlines the process of downloading your personal digital certificate from Comodo Certificate Manager.
If your certificate is issued by Comodo Certificate Manager, your download code is valid for one download only. If you need your certificate reissued, please contact UW Digital ID Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org
Depending on your specific digital certificate needs, you may have received an email from Comodo Certificate Manager to download your certificate. Follow the instructions below to download your certificate.
An example of the email you may have received is below. The email will come from Comodo Certificate Manager <email@example.com>.
Dear Bucky Badger,
You have been enrolled in a UW Digital ID personal digital certificate (also known as client or S/MIME certificate). Please follow the instructions below to obtain your certificate.
Click or copy the following URL into your browser: https://hard.cert-manager.com/customer/wuwisc/smime?action=invite&requestCode=bqsTcDXtuqWpubLW9mpbDHCVB&email=bucky%2ebadger%40wisc%2eedu
If the link above does not work, enter your request code in the "Code" field.
Request Code: bqsTcDXtuqWpubLW9mpbDHCVB
- In the "PIN" field, enter a password to encrypt your certificate. You will need to remember this password when you install your certificate on your devices.
- In the "Pass-phrase" field, enter a password to revoke your certificate at any time. This is a function provided by Comodo. For more information, please visit this KB: https://kb.wisc.edu/uwdid/page.php?id=67956
- Read through the Terms and Conditions and click the "I accept the terms and conditions" checkbox. You MUST scroll through the Terms and Conditions before you can click the checkbox.
- Click "Submit." Your certificate will begin downloading and you can now install your new certificate on your devices. This may take a couple minutes to complete. Please keep your browser window open until the download is available.
If you have any questions, please contact UW Digital ID Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
UW Digital ID Administration
1. Complete the request form
When you click the link in the email, you should be directed to this form:
Please ensure that your name and email address are correct. If they are not correct, please contact UW Digital ID Administration at email@example.com to correct the error.
Enter a PIN to protect your certificate with. When you install your certificate on your devices, you will be prompted for a password. That password is the PIN set up here.
Enter a pass-phrase. This pass-phrase will allow you to revoke your certificate, if you feel that the need arises. Please refer to [Link for document 67956 is unavailable at this time.] for more details.
Select which address fields to remove from the certificate, if any. Unfortunately, the Comodo certificate does not allow for modifications to the address itself, just removal. This does NOT have an effect on how your certificate works.
Read through the Terms and Conditions. You must scroll through the entire agreement before proceeding to the next step.
Check the "I accept the terms and conditions" checkbox.
Click "Submit" to start the download process.
2. Wait for the certificate to process
You will see this screen while your certificate is being processed. Do NOT navigate away from this page or close out your browser. You may see this page for several minutes; this is normal.
3. Download your new certificate
Once your certificate is ready for download, you will see this screen. Click the "Download" button and your certificate will be downloaded to your computer. Keep this file in a safe place (e.g. Google Drive, Box), as you will need it to install your certificate on all of your devices.
- UW Digital ID (Personal Certificate) - Downloading My Digital Certificate through Comodo
- UW Digital ID (Personal Certificate) - Troubleshooting - Downloading
- UW Digital ID (Personal Certificate) - Configuring My Email Client (Windows)
- UW Digital ID (Personal Certificate) - Signing and Encrypting Documents (Windows)
- UW Digital ID (Personal Certificate) - Signing and Encrypting Documents (Mac)