Interactive Reporting - Oracle Client Installation Instructions
Provides Oracle Client instructions for those who use Interactive Reporting (Hyperion), MS Access or other desktop clients and need to set-up an .oce or an ODBC connection to databases.
If you use the Oracle client to connect to a University of Wisconsin database, then the client download is covered under the university's Oracle site license.1. In a web browser, navigate to the Oracle website to download the appropriate client software. If you plan on using the Oracle client with the Hyperion (Interactive Reporting) Studio Client, you will need to choose the 32-bit Oracle client even if you plan on installing the client on a 64-bit computer since the Studio Client is 32-bit software.
2. At the top of the page, you will need to click the "Accept License Agreement" radio button to be able to download the software
3. After accepting the License Agreement, click on the link to download the appropriate client software. Create a folder on your desktop called Oracle Client and choose to save the download to that location.
4. At this point, you will be prompted for a user name and password. If you don't already have an Oracle account, you can follow the instructions to register for a free account.
5. Once the download is complete, right-click on the zip file and choose "Extract All..." to unzip file to the folder you downloaded the software to.
6. Once unzipped, navigate to the "Client" folder and click on the setup application to start the Oracle Universal Installer. If you get a security pop-up window, choose to run the file.
8. The following screen is for selecting any languages you may need. English should be sufficient for most installs but add any others you may need at this point and select "Next".
9. Next is the location we want to install the software. For the "Oracle Base" directory, update this to C:\Oracle32 (or C:\Oracle64 if you chose to install the 64-bit client). For the "Software Location" enter C:\Oracle32\product\11.2.0\client_1. Click "Next"
11. When the installation is complete you can close the installer. You have completed your installation of the Oracle 11g client.
Before using the Hyperion Studio Client, you will still need to set up your TNSNames.ora and .OCE files or ODBC connections depending on which you are planning on using to connect to your data sources.
If you have any questions please call the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 and select option 2.