Topics Map > Academic & Curricular Administration > Frequently Asked Questions
Topics Map > Academic & Curricular Administration > Graduate Student Administration > Teaching Assistant Resource Center
L&S Teaching Fellow Award: Nomination Guidelines for Departments
This document explains the L&S Teaching Fellows Award, eligibility requirements, nomination materials, and nomination deadline.
Revised Spring 2019 Deadline: Friday, March 1
The Teaching Fellow Award is granted to TAs who have achieved outstanding success as students and teachers at UW-Madison. Winners of this award are named L&S Teaching Fellows and serve as instructors at the L&S Fall TA Training, which takes place at the start of the fall semester. Up to fifteen winners are selected each year and winners receive a $1,000 award, which is distributed in two payments.
Nomination Guidelines for Departments:
- TAs from the College of Letters & Science, the School of Human Ecology, The School of Pharmacy and the Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies are eligible to apply.
- Any TA who is deemed outstanding
by her/his department and who meets the departmental standard for
satisfactory progress as a graduate student is eligible to be nominated
for an award.
- Departments may nominate two candidates per year.
- Nominees need not be currently teaching at the time of the nomination or award, but
they must be registered graduate students at the time of the
nomination. Ideal candidates are those who have taught successfully in the department, who convey enthusiasm for teaching undergraduates, and who will serve as good role models for new TAs.
- Past departmental awards that recognize such talents and those previously nominated or awarded a Campus-wide TA Award are eligible.
All materials should be formatted as a single PDF document.
1. A completed nomination form:
- Note: This nomination form is new and replaces older nomination forms.
- a one-page letter indicating that the department endorses the nomination and the nominee meets the eligibility criteria established for the award
- the letter may come from the department Chair, Associate Chair, the head of the department awards committee, or other authorized faculty or academic staff member
- if the TA nominee is a graduate student in a department different
from the one they have held teaching appointments, then the employing
department should submit the endorsement letter and nomination
3. Letter of recommendation from a supervising faculty or academic staff member
- at least one recommendation letter is required
- recommendation(s) should come from the faculty/academic staff who are the most familiar with the TAs qualifications for the award
- letter(s) should focus on the nominee's potential as a Teaching Fellow, teaching excellence and
qualifications for the award
4. A list of teaching assignments at UW-Madison
- Please list the course name, UW-Madison course number, and semester/year.
5. A Summary of student evaluation scores
- summary must include an explanation of the rating system or scale used in the evaluation
- please summarize, do not include raw data
- when possible, please include the ranking system of the nominee compared to other TAs teaching the same course
6. Excerpted student comments (3 pages maximum)
7. A campus copy of the candidate's transcript
8. A personal statement from the nominee (2 pages maximum, single spaced).
- In the personal statement, the nominee should explain the evolution of their teaching philosophy and their interest in taking on a leadership role at the L&S Fall TA Training. The statement should provide a concise account of the nominee’s teaching methods and goals, and describe specific and effective strategies he or she employs in and out of the classroom to achieve those goals.
Information about the L&S Teaching Fellow Award can also be found on the L&S TA Resource Center website.