Topics Map > Academic & Curricular Administration > Graduate Student Administration
Topics Map > Academic & Curricular Administration > Personnel - Budgetary and Curricular Intersections > Teaching Assistant Budgets
L&S Graduate Support Guarantee Requests
Each January, the College of Letters & Science issues a call for requests to offer long-term support guarantees for the coming academic year. As a part of that process, we request that each department with TAs and/or Readers complete a TA Staffing and Expenditure Plan. This exercise is intended to help departments think about how best to deploy their TA and/or Reader resources, and will also help insure that TA allocation plans are aligned with the department’s BSR. This document will guide you through the process of completing the TA allocation spreadsheet.
Documents & Deadlines
- Request for long-term support guarantees
- Sample letters
- Standard template for incoming students: SupportGuaranteeStandardTemplate2019-20.docx.
- Continuing support template: Continuingsupporttemplate19-20.docx
- Deadline for 2019-20 academic year
- Friday, March 1, 2019
- Submission via email to Brian Bubenzer.
- Graduate Support Guarantees Planning Document
- Requirements of a Support Guarantee
- Length of Guarantee
- Offers of appointments with no support
- Non-native English speakers
- Offer Letters
- Contacts for L&S Administration
Detailed Instructions for Graduate Support Guarantees Planning DocumentDepartments requesting to make long-term support guarantees to incoming (or continuing) graduate students should fill out the Support Guarantee Worksheet (linked above). Please fill out the form following the instructions below, and include departmental sample letters.
Departmental DetailsUpdate the worksheet with basic details at the top, department name, your name, Department TA rate.
Guarantee DetailsThe following section asks for your departmental norms.
- Guaranteed appointment percentage level(s). The minimum level that you are guaranteeing support to a graduate student. This guaranteed percentage level may well differ from the normal ‘’actual’‘ TA appointment level used in your department. For example, you might guarantee at least a .334 appointment to incoming graduate students, but regularly assign TAs to .40 appointments. [Note: You may routinely appoint at a level higher than that of the guarantee, but you cannot offer graduate students less than the appointment level guaranteed, unless the student requests such an assignment.]
- Normal Length (number of years) of Guarantee. The number of years for normal support guarantees
- Estimated offer acceptance % rate by incoming students. The percentage of offers that you expect to be accepted by prospective students. This should be based on historical patterns of accepted offers, which should be included on the ‘Guarantee Notes’ page.
Support Guarantee OffersPlease list the expected number of ongoing and new support guarantees for the 2019-20 academic year.
- Number of ONGOING guarantees of support. Number of graduate students with ongoing guarantees of support who will not have exhausted their guarantees at the end of the current academic year (2018-19).
- Number of new support offers to incoming students. Number of new support offers requested for incoming students for 2019-2020
- Number of new support offers to continuing students. Number of new support offers requested for continuing students for 2019-2020
Support Guarantee Cost EstimateThis table calculates the total estimated costs for your guarantees. It compares the total possible cost if all offers are accepted versus an adjusted estimated based on the historical acceptance rate listed in the ‘Guarantee Details’ table.
Expected SupportThis section breaks out your commitment by semester by appointment level and dollars. The blank spreadsheet contains standard titles with the campus salary minima. You may adjust the rates or add rows for additional titles as necessary. Fill in for each semester
- Title. Adjust/add rows if necessary
- Base rate. Adjust/add rows if necessary. This should be a 9-month / C-Basis rate.
- Headcount for fall & spring.
- Total appointment percentage. Sum of the appointment percentages for the given semester. E.g., if you have two TAs at 50% plus another at 33.4%, please list 133.4%. The fall, spring, and total academic year costs will automatically be calculated.
Requirements of a Support GuaranteeOffer letters must spell out that the support guarantee requires that the student:
- continues as a graduate student in your program and
- maintains satisfactory academic performance and
- performs satisfactorily in any assigned responsibilities.
Length of GuaranteeCollege policy is that offers made to new graduate students will be multiple-year guarantees unless we have specifically authorized guarantees or appointments for a shorter time period. Unless otherwise arranged with us, the length of these guarantees for an incoming Ph.D. program graduate student is:
- four or five continuous academic years for one with no prior graduate work; or
- three continuous academic years for one with at least one year of prior graduate work.