Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Budget and Finance > Frequently Asked Questions
Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Budget and Finance > Other/Uncategorized
Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Research > Extramural Support > Gifts
Transferring Funds from UW Foundation to 233- Projects
Overview of transferring funds from UW Foundation Accounts to 233- projects using the UW Foundation Check Request form and the Gift Check Routing form.
As a part of routine gift project management and to cover new costs you know are going to post, you may need to move money from a UW Foundation account to a 233- project in the UW Accounting system. The chancellor has asked that we clear overdrafts on 233- projects quarterly, this is an update from the former practice of clearing overdrafts annually. Please avoid overdrawing 233 accounts, campus is encouraging departments to discontinue the practice o overdrawing 233 accounts.
How to transfer money from UW Foundation to a UW Madison 233- project:
Use the UW Foundation Check Request and Gift Check Routing Form to make the transfer. The check request is the document that UW foundation uses to do initiate the electronic transfer from the UW Foundation. The Gift check routing form is used by UW Cash Management this document informs Cash Management which 233 account you want the funds transferred to. Check Request Instructions: login to UW Foundation Advancement Resources, click on Fund Management in red navigation bar, select "Check/ACH request from the pull down menu). Gift Check Routing Form Instructions. If you do not have a Login for UW Foundation Advancement Resources please contact Ben Ball.
- Fill out the forms online, print them out, get the required signature(s) and send the original hard copy of both forms together to Mary Machaj 408 South Hall.
- No documentation is needed for this kind of fund transfer, but you may send attachments if you like.
- The department with the UW Foundation fund prepares and signs the UW Foundation Check Request
- The department that controls the 233- fund prepares and signs the Gift Check Routing Form.
- Send the forms together or separately to Mary Machaj, 408 South Hall; if sent separately, please attach a note.
- Send a signed Gift Check Routing Form; L&S will prepare the Foundation check request to match when your gift check routing form arrives.
- Examples: Hamel faculty fellowships, Halls visiting fellowships, Associate Dean funding.
Tips for filling out the UW Foundation Check Request for transfer to 233-
- When you get to the second page the Fund Management Tool will prefill the form when you select the "Payment type" from pull down as "UW Board of Regents/233 transfer" Use this to quickly complete the page.
- Purpose of Expenditure: Add any additional info that will help you keep track of the purpose. No justification is required for these transfers, they are up to the discretion of the department.
- When you have printed out the hard copy, your Chair/Director (or Associate Chair/Director) will sign on the top line of the "University of Wisconsin Approvals." The second line is for the L&S divisional level approval signature.
Tips for filling out the Gift Check Routing Form to accept a transfer of UWF money:
- Use yourself as the contact, click on the "Add/Change" button, do a search for your last name.
- For these transfers from UWF, always fill in "UWF" as donor, not the name of the UWF fund or some other name.
- Check number and date will default to "TBD" once you have completed the contact information, filled in UWF as the donor and completed "Option 1 (existing account) or Option 2 (new account) at the bottom of the form.
- If you have trouble with the form, try a different browser, sometimes that helps.
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- Money from the UW Foundation can ONLY be deposited into 233- accounts; no other UW accounts accept Foundation funds or other gift funds.
- Money can only go from the UW Foundation to a UW 233- account, it
can't go back. It's a one way trip from UWF to UW.
- It's up to you whether to create a new 233- or deposit the money into an existing 233-. These projects are set up for the department's convenience, so do whatever makes it easiest for you to track the funding.
- If you have questions, call Mary Machaj at 263-2316 or Ben Ball at 265-1170.
UW FOUNDATION CHECK REQUEST (login, click on Fund Management in red navigation bar, select "Check/ACH Request" from the pull down menu)GIFT CHECK ROUTING FORM (Select Gift Routing form in "Routing and Approvals section of page, on next window select "Check Routing Form - Create New Entry")
GIFT CHECK ROUTING FORM INSTRUCTIONS
GIFT DEPOSIT FORM (login, click on Fund Management in red navigation bar, select "Gifts and Special Deposits" from the pull down menu)
Knowledge base document on Gift Deposits
UW FOUNDATION: 1848 University Avenue, 263-4545
UW Foundation Management System
ACCOUNTING SERVICES: 21 N. Park St. Suite 6101, 262-1214
http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/acct.html Gifts: http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/gifts/gifts.html
RSP: 21 N. Park St. Suite 6401, 262-3822
http://www.rsp.wisc.edu/ Gifts: http://www.rsp.wisc.edu/gifts/index.html
L&S: Ben Ball 201D South Hall, 265-1170, firstname.lastname@example.org or Mary Machaj,263-2316, email@example.com
Please send forms to Mary Machaj, 408 South Hall:
- Original, no copies.
- No staples, use clips.
- Blue ink signature preferred.
- How to pay using UW Foundation Funds
- Depositing Gifts into UW Foundation Funds and 233- Projects
- UW Foundation Overview
- How to clear overdrafts on 233-gift accounts
- Frequently Asked Questions about University Policies Related to UW Foundation Gifts and Other Accounts
- Gift Acknowledgment
- UW Foundation Accounting Structure, 2014