Topics Map > Student Academic Policies > Grades

UW-Madison NW (No Work) Grade Information

This sections explain what it means to receive a grade of No Work and when it is given to students.

What does it mean if I receive a grade of No Work (NW) for a course?

A student will be given the grade of "No Work" (NW) when they enroll in a course and then never attends and does not do any work in the course.   The "No Work" notation in this context means that the instructor for the course has no evidence that the student ever attended the class and that no course work has ever been submitted (and reviewed or graded).  A grade of "NW" will remain permanently on a student's record and will not be counted in GPA calculations.

If a student does attend a class for part of the semester and then stops participating without dropping the course, the student is not eligible to receive the "No Work" grade.  Instead, the student will receive a grade of "F".

For more information about NW and other grades, please refer to Valid Grades.

Resources for Questions: 
L&S Student Academic Affairs: (608) 262-0617,
Office of the Registrar: (608) 262-3811,

KeywordsNo Work notation, grades, NW grade, GPA calculations   Doc ID21155
OwnerTori R.GroupL&S KB
Created2011-11-03 21:41:06Updated2023-09-27 16:55:07
SitesL&S KB
Feedback  3   0