Topics Map > Student Academic Policies > Degrees

Declaring a Major in the College of Letters & Science

This section explains how a student declares or undeclares a major in the College of Letters & Science.

How do I declare a major in L&S?

The College of Letters & Science undergraduate students are able to find information on declaring their major by going to the Guide and selecting the "how to get in" tab for the major/specialized degree program they wish to pursue.   Students can also find general information about advising for their major by going to the "advising and careers" tab in the Guide for each L&S major or specialized degree program.
General information about declaring a major can be found at how to declare a major in the College of Letters & Science.

To undeclare a major, a student must go to the major department to speak with the undergraduate advisor or the appointed person in the department to assist the student in undeclaring the major through the UW-Madison Student Information System (SIS).

Some majors have limited enrolled so students must apply via application.  Entrance to these majors is competitive which means that not all students will necessarily be accepted even if they have minimum qualifications.  See the Guide for more detail information about the application or declaration process.  Students can find information about declaring a major in L&S under the How to Get in tab for each L&S undergraduate major, special degree program, or certificate.

Please contact the individual department or L&S Academic Advising Services with questions
Phone: (608) 262-5858

Keywordsdeclaring major, major declaration, undeclare major, second major, major cancellation form,specialized degree program, declaring a specialized degree program   Doc ID21164
OwnerTori R.GroupL&S KB
Created2011-11-04 11:00:16Updated2023-08-07 08:33:23
SitesL&S KB
Feedback  0   0