Topics Map > Facilities > Overview
Topics Map > Facilities > Buildings

L&S Facilities Administration

Overview of facilities administration processes and contacts, including remodeling and allocating space in the College.

Chris Bruhn is the L&S Assistant Dean for facilities. He serves as a resource for faculty and staff in the areas of facility remodeling and space allocation and as the primary L&S liaison with FP&M. This includes both minor remodeling of laboratory space as well as space allocations for major new grant/research initiatives. Kurt Stephenson works with Chris Bruhn on building issues, particularly those related to animal care facilities, safety and environmental health. All projects involving the allocation of space, renovations & remodeling, and capital building projects should be reviewed by Chris Bruhn, even when projects will be funded by the department or department donors. Chris is responsible for working with the campus master facilities planning and capital funding processes.

Remodeling Needs:  (What's involved in undertaking a remodeling project in L&S?)

Minor remodeling needs should be identified at the earliest possible opportunity to allow time for the definition of the scope of the needs.

  1. Remodeling proposals need to be reviewed and endorsed by the department chair and submitted to Chris Bruhn using this form: Campus Renovation Services project intake form
  2. The College signs and submits the proposal to Physical Plant for the development of a basic cost assessment. 
  3. If a department wishes to proceed with the project based on the initial assessment, Physical Plant will develop design documents for a fee, which is the responsibility of the department. A decision to proceed with the project would be made at this juncture. 
  4. This entire process can take considerable time, so it is advisable to consult with Chris Bruhn as soon as the need to remodel a lab or offices has been identified. September and October are the best months to request assessments for remodeling within the annual cycle of FP&M.

Space Needs:  (more info about Departmental Space Allocation)

  1. If lab or office space needs to be identified to house new grant related activity or departmental staffing growth, please contact Chris Bruhn as soon as possible. 
  2. The process for research lab space can begin on the research grant transmittal form when space issues are formally noted, or preferably before this step when the potential space needs/impacts are discussed between the PI and departmental chair. (If new space in the College can't be found to house the grant, it is up to the department signing off on the grant to find adequate space.) 
  3. Chris Bruhn will work with you in clarifying the space needs, consult with the PI and Chair as needed, review your existing space inventory, and work with the Space Management Office to investigate alternatives if needed. It is important to note that the campus, and particularly L&S, is very tight for space, and does not have the luxury of holding space for anticipated research grant needs. The College works consistently to seek creative solutions to research space needs but lead times are significant. The research community can facilitate this process by making needs known at the earliest possible time.

Keywordsremodeling, allocation, space, lab, office, facility, lab modernization   Doc ID21364
OwnerChris B.GroupL&S KB
Created2011-11-21 18:18:11Updated2024-02-12 15:54:08
SitesL&S KB
Feedback  0   0