Topics Map > Student Academic Policies > Grades

Transfer Credits and Grades From Other Universities to UW-Madison

The following section explains for L&S undergraduate students the policy for transfer credits and grades earned at non UW-Madison institutions or on non UW-Madison sponsored study abroad programs
Transfer credit can be awarded to any UW-Madison admitted student who has completed coursework at a college or university accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).   Once you are admitted, Credit Evaluation Services in the Office of the Registrar will begin working on an evaluation of your transfer credits and will email you when your evaluation is available to view in your Student Center.  See reading your credit evaluation for more details about transfer credits.

Grades for classes taken anywhere other than UW-Madison (or on UW-Madison sponsored study abroad programs) are not transferable even if the credits for the courses are transferable. Also, the grades a student receives at previous institution(s) will not be calculated into the student's UW-Madison grade point average (GPA).

For more information, see:
Resources for Questions:

Credit Evaluation Services: (608) 890-4000,

Office of the Registrar: (608) 262-3811,

Keywordstransfer credits, transfer credit policy, credit conversion, transfer course equivalencies, transfer courses, grades, transfer of grades, grade point average, GPA, grades,non UW study abroad, non residence programs, reevaluating transfer credits, course reevaluation request, evaluation, course, test,   Doc ID38203
OwnerTori R.GroupL&S KB
Created2014-03-05 15:47:59Updated2022-03-25 09:19:42
SitesL&S KB
Feedback  0   0