Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Academic & Curricular Administration > Graduate Student Administration > Teaching Assistant Resource Center
Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Academic & Curricular Administration > Other Curricular Matters > Learning Support Services
L&S Teaching Assistants: Teaching Resources
This document lists resources for teaching assistants offered by the College of Letters & Science, UW-Madison, and off-campus and national organizations.
Teaching Resources for TAs
Campus Resources for TAs:
- Classroom Media Support- Learn how to employ "smart room" technologies for your class
- L&S Learning Support Services - Explore technology resources for teaching and learning
- Student Privacy Rights (FERPA) - Read about students' privacy rights through the Office of the Registrar
- McBurney Disability Resource Center - Obtain information regarding classroom services for students with disabilities.
- Academic Integrity/Student Issues - The Dean of Students assists TAs who have questions or concerns about student related matters, including the academic misconduct investigation process and troubled/distressed or struggling students.
- Library Services for Teaching and Learning - Integrate information literacy instruction into your course.
- The Writing Center - Offers a variety of writing resources for teachers and students.
- Writing Across the Curriculum - Get advice and read samples of effective writing assignments that help students to better learn the subject matter.
- Download the 2017 Tips for Teachers for advice from the 2017 L&S Teaching Fellows on a variety of teaching topics, including getting the most out of your first day of class, helping students become engaged with the course, facilitating discussion of controversial subjects, making the classroom an inclusive place for all learners, and balancing teaching, research and your personal life.
UW-Madison websites for Graduate Student Professional Development:
- Graduate Assistant Equity Workshops - The schedule of upcoming Equity Workshops is available on the website of the Office for Equity and Diversity.
- The Graduate School - Professional development programs, awards and workshops geared for graduate students.
- Graduate Student Professional Development Events Calendar - Workshops, presentations and events on campus for graduate students.
- Delta Program - Offers graduate courses and programs, monthly roundtable events, workshops and seminars for teaching and learning.
- UW Teaching Academy - Offers teaching workshops, on-line teaching and learning tools and discussion forums as well as hosting the Future Faculty Partners program.
- Teaching & Learning Symposium - An annual symposium for discussing best teaching practices and sharing new learning and teaching approaches with faculty, academic staff and students from UW-Madison.
- WISCIENCE- Offers programs and seminars on evidence-based teaching and research mentoring in scientific fields.
Teaching Assistants’ Association and Graduate Student Associations:
- Teaching Assistants’ Association (TAA) - UW-Madison's graduate employee union.
- Wisconsin Student Power Alliance - Wisconsin's state student association.
- The National Association of Graduate-Professional Students
Higher Education Resources: