Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Human Resources
Recruitment of University Staff
This document contains policies, procedures and links to documents for recruitment of University Staff appointments.
RECRUITMENT OF UNIVERSITY STAFFThis document contains policies, procedures and links to documents for recruitment of University Staff appointments.
University Staff members are engaged in a very broad range of activities and are employed under a wide variety of titles. The information below applies to the recruitment of University Staff appointments.
Visit the following Gateway documents for instructions on recruitment of:
Non-Instructional and Renewable Instructional Academic Staff appointments
Instructional Short-Term Staff
Questions regarding faculty recruitment should be directed to Ben Weisse.
1. Submit a PD via the CHRIS system.
- Instructions on submitting a position description, PD
- Instructions on creating a CHRIS account
- Ensure L&S "How to Apply" Language section reflects that applicants will need to upload a cover letter, resume and three professional references including current supervisor.
2. The following forms may be needed and should be emailed to your unit HR Rep.
- All positions on 101, 104, 131, 402, and new positions on 136 funds require the submission of an Essential Hire Form.
3. Submit three to five non-discriminatory, job related criteria that will be used to minimize the applicant pool. Note the screening criteria should not screen for UW-Madison specific experience and should not specify years of experience. Reference the suggested screening criteria for suggested criteria. You may also work with your HR Rep to generate new criteria if you feel the suggested criteria do not apply to your position.
As soon as your position has final approval you will receive an email from the CHRIS System indicating that “Vacancy Transaction# has been Class Approved.” You should then create the job card for your position in TREMS. Your HR Rep will review and approve the job card and will email you when the position has been approved for posting.
4. Ensure the applicant status is updated in TREMS throughout the recruitment process. The Office of Equity and Diversity uses the applicant status data for their annual reports and it’s important that the dates reflect actual event dates.
5. Submit interview questions and screening panel that will be involved with recruitment to HR Rep before any interviewing occurs.
6. Once you have a finalist, check with references. References need to include the current supervisor and two additional professional references. After your reference check is complete, send an email to your HR Rep indicating the name of your finalist. Your HR Rep will work with you to determine a rate at which you can verbally offer the position to your finalist.
7. If the finalist is new to the University or moving to a position of trust based on fiduciary duties, a criminal background check will need to be conducted before the appointment letter will be generated.
8. Refer to L&S: Letter Templates for Academic and University Staff Appointments for instructions on the appointment letter process.
9. If you are a decentralized or centralized plus unit, once you receive the email from CHRIS indicating the hire has been processed in HRS, enter funding and update the TL security in HRS. If you are a centralized unit, work with your HR Rep to enter funding and update TL security.
For questions on recruiting, please contact your HR Representative.
Recruitment, Assessment, and Selection of Academic, Faculty, Limited, and University Staff Employees
Talent Recruitment and Engagement Toolkit (sample communication letters, advertising agreements, procedures after hire, etc.)
UW-Madison continues to be committed to hiring a diverse and highly qualified staff, and the Women in Science and Engineering Leadership Institute (WISELI) resource materials provide useful recommendation to ensure that searches for UW-Madison positions elicit diverse and highly qualified pools of candidates from which the best individuals can be selected. WISELI makes a number of resources available online at http://wiseli.engr.wisc.edu/hiring.php.
Rehired Annuitant Appointments
University Staff Specifications
Office of Equity and Diversity (OED)
Criminal Background Check (CBC) Policy (CBCs for non-instructional and instructional renewable appointments will be conducted by the College upon submission of the appointment letter questionnaire)
Office of Human Resources (OHR)
International Faculty and Staff Services (IFSS)
I-9 Manual and Information