L&S Letter Templates for Short-Term Staff
This document contains templates for short-term staff (STS) appointment letters, with links to frequently used documents and policies.
See these L&S KBs for other types of appointment letter templates:
Before drafting an offer letter, you may find the following documents helpful:
Please use the templates below to create a draft appointment letter and email to your STS/SA HR Rep
for review. You will also need to submit a copy of the instructor's CV and any related documents. Possible related documents include the following:
You will receive a signed approval via email with any corrections. The signed approval should be kept in the instructor's personnel file at the department.
For open recruitments through TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then email the final draft to your STS / SA HR Rep. The HR Rep will send the letter to the instructor via TREMS.
Offers outside of TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then mail or email the offer to your instructor along with any enclosures. Links to the enclosures are below.
- Academic Staff STS: revised 1/13/2022, This template should be used for most short-term instructional academic staff hires, including lecturers, faculty assistants, adjunct faculty and visiting faculty.
- Lecturer(SA): revised 12/10/2022, Any graduate or professional student hired as a lecturer will have the "Lecturer (SA)" title (see Lecturer (SA) appointments in L&S: Selection, Hiring & Supervision ). See University of Wisconsin–Madison Maximum Levels of Graduate Assistantship Appointments Policy or L&S Student Assistant Appointment Letter Templates for limitations on Student Assistant appointments.
- Instructional Temporary Increase: revised 9/22/2021, Use to temporarily increase an existing instructional academic staff appointment.
- Rehired Annuitant STS: revised 1/13/2022, Please use for employees who retired after July 2, 2013.
- Zero Dollar Instructional: revised 7/17/2021, Please see the L&S Policy on Volunteers for more information.
- Visiting Faculty, revised 12/10/2021
Dates & Calendars
- Fall 2021
- Payroll start: August 23, 2021
- Payroll end: January 5, 2022
- Courses begin: September 8, 2021
- Exams end: December 23, 2021
- Spring 2022
- Payroll start: January 6, 2022
- Payroll end: May 22, 2022
- Courses begin: January 25, 2022
- Exams end: May 13, 2022
Calculating Gross Salary
Use the FLOAT tool to calculate the instructor's salary.
For questions regarding the policy/procedures, please contact your STS/SA HR Rep