L&S Letter Templates for Short-Term Staff
This document contains templates for short-term staff (STS) appointment letters, with links to frequently used documents and policies.
Before drafting an offer letter, you may find the following documents helpful:
Please use the templates below to create a draft appointment letter and email to your STS/SA HR Rep
for review. You will also need to submit a copy of the instructor's CV and any related documents. Possible related documents include the following:
You will receive a signed approval via email with any corrections. The signed approval should be kept in the instructor's personnel file at the department.
For open recruitments through TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then email the final draft to your STS / SA HR Rep. The HR Rep will send the letter to the instructor via TREMS.
Offers outside of TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then mail or email the offer to your instructor along with any enclosures. Links to the enclosures are below.
Dates & Calendars
- Fall 2019
- Payroll start: August 19, 2019
- Payroll end: January 2, 2020
- Courses begin: September 4, 2019
- Exams end: December 19, 2019
- Spring 2020
- Payroll start: January 3, 2020
- Payroll end: May 17, 2020
- Courses begin: January 21, 2020
- Exams end: May 8, 2020
For summer sessions appointments, please reference the dates on your department's "Expense Details" report.
Calculating Gross Salary
- Semester-length course: Base rate / 2 * appointment percentage.
- Academic year salary: Base rate * appointment percentage.
- Other: If the appointment is not based on a semester or academic year, use the "FLOAT" tool to calculate the instructor's salary: FLOAT
L&S Instructional Visiting Faculty