This document contains instructions for requesting short-term staff (STS). This document has been updated for academic year 2023-24.
Request process for STS
- Link to form: Instructional Staffing Request Form
- Detailed instructions: Instructional Staffing Request Form - L&S
The term “STS” refers to short-term instructional staff beyond a department's Faculty and renewable Academic Staff instructors. STS positions require approval through this process regardless of the funding source. This is necessary because STS plans will be reviewed as a part of a department’s overall instructional strategy and for technical reasons (e.g., percentage of appointment, title). Summer term STS are requested as part of a department's summer budget proposal.
Approvals will be communicated via email and in the STS folder in Box (“48-#### STS”). Changes or cancellations related to approved STS positions may also be sent via the online request form.
STS titles & rates
"STS" may refer to the following titles:
- Academic Staff instructors (Lecturers, Teaching Faculty)
- Lecturer (SA)
- Visiting or L/I faculty
- Emeritus Faculty
- Adjunct Faculty
- Volunteer / Zero dollar Instructional Staff
- Additional teaching assignments ('temporary increases' or overloads) to Academic Staff
Standard rates for short-term staff are listed on the following KB page: L&S Standard Rates for Short-term Staff and Student Assistants
STS Appointment Levels
101 Funded STS
The funding line for most 101 funded STS: 101-A48##04, where '##' is the department number from your unit's UDDS.
The STS budget sheet on the BSR includes itemized credits for one-time support from sources such as FIGs, Honors, Other Schools/Colleges, etc. You are strongly encouraged to review your STS budget sheet to understand the fiscal implications of your plan. Please contact Assistant Dean Mary Beth Roberts with questions regarding your STS budget sheet on the BSR.
Contacts for L&S Administration
- L&S Teaching & Learning Administration
- L&S Human Resources
- L&S Budget Office
- Mary Beth Roberts, Assistant Dean for Finance-Budget, Planning & Analysis