Using a Personally Owned Computer for Work
Minimum recommended security measures when doing UW work on a personal device.
When possible, use your computer to remotely access your secured work computer on campus. See Remote Access for details.
- Configure automatic updates on operating systems and software.
- Install and configure antivirus with scheduled scans and, if possible, real-time scanning.
- Turn your firewall on.
- Set a strong password on your computer.
- Always use WiscVPN when working from anywhere off-campus.
- Never store protected information (Social Security Numbers, credit card info, financial records) on your personal computer. Work data should be stored in UW licensed or operated storage. This may include UW-Madison’s Box server, UW-Madison’s Google Drive, the Shared Drive service, or a department file server.
For more information, see How to Stay Safe Online While Accessing Campus Remotely. If you are using Windows 10, you may use the built-in Windows Defender antivirus instead of Symantec.