Learn@UW - How to configure 'browse, search, and embed' integration with Kaltura
NOTE:This document is expressly intended for campus Academic Systems Administrators. Please contact your campus designee, if you have questions.
This document provides instructions on how to configure a BSE-based integration with the Kaltura media management solution. It is intended for campus administrators of both the Learn@UW/D2L and Kaltura services.
This integration option provides a better user experience and exposes more features for embedding Kaltura hosted media in D2L courses. We’ve tested the features, including the instructions that Kaltura provides for configuring the integration. You are welcome to enable this for your D2L site, though we ask that you let us (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you plan to do so and the timing that it will be completed.
Please follow these steps to configure your D2L and Kaltura instances. We recommend that you test this on your campus Beta instance to become familiar with the process. You will need administrative access to both services and it will take ~20-30 minutes to complete the process.
- Log into the KAF instance that is associated with your D2L instance (e.g., https://<Kaltura Partner ID>-<#>.mediaspace.kaltura.com). There are unique KAF instances for both a non-production (e.g., Beta) and Production D2L instance, however, you can use the same KAF for both.
- Enable the Browseandembed module (ModulesCustom/core/kaf) and configure it to match the following screenshots.
NOTE: A different default player (BSEPlayerId) will need to be specified than that which is depicted below, and it would be best to use the one that is used for Interactive Video Quizzes (IVQ).
- Users will be able to access the CaptureSpace Lite application as an option with the "Add media" function. Enable the "enableBSE" setting in the Capturespace module (Modules > Capturespace > enableBSE).
NOTE: Users will be directed to the page to download the application even if the individual already has it installed. Users should close the pop-up window, use CaptureSpace Lite, and re-invoke the Insert Stuff function after the recorded media is uploaded into Kaltura.
- Review and follow the Kaltura Video App for Brightspace Deployment Guide. An FAQ provided by Kaltura provides additional information concerning the BSE and D2L's legacy integration, Digital Media Services (DMS 2.0).
NOTE: It is your option to provide access to the features as detailed in the instructions (e.g., navigation bar links for the My Media and Media Gallery).
- Test to validate that the features work as expected.
- It is strongly recommended to remove user access to the legacy D2L integration (DMS 2.0) to avoid confusion. This action will not negatively affect the media previously embedded using this process as the code will continue to function.
Remove the permissions for the Kaltura tool for applicable roles (e.g., Instructor, Student, etc.), as depicted in the following screenshot. You do not need to modify any of the settings in the Config Variable browser at this time.