Topics Map > Getting Started/Overview Documents
Topics Map > Accessibility > UDOIT
UDOIT - Getting Started
This document is intended for new users of UDOIT, a course accessibility checker
Universal Design Online content Inspection Tool or UDOIT (pronounced, “You Do It”), is a course accessibility checker that allows instructors to scan an entire Canvas course to identify and help resolve accessibility issues, referred to as “barriers.”
Instructor Considerations Before Use
- UDOIT presents barriers based on a few criteria. Instructors should start with the “Easiest to Fix” barriers in order to get used to the tool and its functionality.
- The barriers will be presented in two categories: errors and suggestions. Errors should be the first ones to be addressed.
- Although the tool does provide a way to fix some barriers directly inside the tool, there are some barriers that may require some direct editing of the HTML of the area in the course.
- If the tool cannot fix the issue natively, it will give you a link to the page for you to correct.
- If you are unsure how to edit HTML, please work with your local support or a knowledgeable colleague.
- UDOIT is available to all credit and noncredit courses within Canvas.
- UDOIT also checks course files. These files will require knowledge of how to make the changes in the software or programs that created the files.
Information to share with Students
- Tell students the best way to report accessibility issues in your course. If they report them to you, you can check for the issue using a UDOIT scan.
- information regarding UDOIT accessibility and usability
- to report an accessibility barrier
- to request accessibility assistance
- learn about disability-related accommodations
Steps to Get Started with UDOIT
In order to get up and running with using UDOIT:
Questions & Support
For help with UDOIT, please contact the DoIT Help Desk: Get Help from DoIT