Topics Map > Getting Started/Overview Documents
Topics Map > LMS > Canvas
Topics Map > Collaboration > Zoom
Kaltura - Getting Started
This document is intended for people new to Kaltura
Kaltura is a video management system used to host and deliver media for educational purposes at UW-Madison. It can be thought of as "YouTube for UW-Madison." Faculty, staff and students can upload media content to Kaltura MediaSpace or through Kaltura’s integration with Canvas. Media can then be shared externally or embedded in Canvas courses wherever the rich content editor is available.
Instructor Considerations before Use
- Video content can be created using various software solutions, including integrated webcam recording, the Kaltura Capture application or other authoring tools such as Camtasia.
- Kaltura MediaSpace is not meant to be a storage repository. We recommend you keep copies of your media files and delete media that is no longer needed or used. In the future it is possible old media may be archived or deleted after a period of inactivity.
- Many rooms on campus are equipped with lecture capture solutions that can upload your lectures to Kaltura. These rooms and capture solutions are managed by the individual schools and colleges, or by Facilities Planning & Management.
- Plan to keep your videos short, approximately 5-10 minutes in length. If delivering your content takes longer than that, divide it into smaller sections and use a Playlist (Channel/Gallery,Stand Alone) to organize.
- If you want to record audio and video, your laptop or mobile devices’ internal microphone and camera will work. But, for better quality, use a dedicated microphone or headset and/or camera.
- Closed Captioning your content benefits all viewers regardless of accessibility needs, including multimodal learning, searchability and English as a second language viewers.
- Learn@UW-Madison recommends embedding Kaltura videos in Canvas by using the integrated “embed Kaltura Media” iconin the rich content editor.
- The Kaltura Gallery in Canvas is another way to share video content in a Canvas course. The Gallery is a single video repository for the course and can be organized with Playlists.
Information to share with students
- Students can create videos too. Videos can be embedded into assignment submissions or the Kaltura Gallery. The Kaltura Gallery includes an option to moderate submissions for approval before they are made visible to everyone in the course.
- Privacy or Ad-blocking browser extensions can cause issues with playing Kaltura videos. Please disable the software for UW-Madison Kaltura (mediaspace.wisc.edu) and Canvas (canvas.wisc.edu) if you experience any issues.
- Content hosted in Kaltura MediaSpace identifying students, or content contributed by students, constitutes an educational record and FERPA regulations apply. Those regulations require that the content be protected from disclosure without student consent.
- Disclosure in this context includes use outside of the class such as posting student content openly on the Internet.
- Faculty who intend to post original student work in such a manner may do so with the students’ permission or by providing an opt out option for individual students.
- For additional information on FERPA please see the Office of the Registrar's resources on FERPA.
- Machine closed captioning can be requested for any Kaltura video. Closed captions provide benefits for all viewers including improved searchability and multimodal learning.
- For ADA compliance professional human closed captioning is available through the McBurney Center. The McBurney Center will contact instructors of record when there is a student accommodation request for captioning for a credit/timetable class.
Steps to Get Started with Kaltura
- Log into Kaltura MediaSpace at https://mediaspace.wisc.edu with your NetID. You can use these instructions.
- To upload media to KMS, see Kaltura - Uploading Files to Kaltura Mediaspace (UW-Madison)
- If you are adding Kaltura videos to a Canvas course, follow the directions in Canvas - Upload and embed a new Kaltura Mediaspace video in a Canvas page
Questions and Support
Please contact the DoIT Help Desk for technical assistance or questions regarding Kaltura MediaSpace. Instructors and instructional staff can also request a consultation with a DoIT AT consultant to discuss using Kaltura MediaSpace through the DoIT Help Desk.