Topics Map > HelioCampus AC
HelioCampus AC - Eval Survey Instance - Assigning Course Sections to a Survey (Admin) [UW-Madison]
Navigating to a Survey
- Log into HelioCampus AC (formerly AEFIS) with your NetID credentials.
- Select the Menu button (three stacked lines commonly called the hamburger menu) on the left side of the page to open the main menu.
- Under the Surveys header, select Survey Manager
- The Available Surveys page lists all of the surveys you administer. Find your survey and select Manage on the right side of the page.
You should now be at the home page for your Survey instance.
Assigning Course Sections
- Select Assigned Courses from the left navigation bar of the Survey instance page.
- Click the + Assign button to the right of the course section(s) that should receive the survey OR click the white box on the left to select the sections to assign. Note: If using the check box, you have to choose the blue Add/Remove courses button on the top right to finish the assign and it must be complete for each page.
- A check mark will appear next to the course sections, and the Assign button will switch to saying Remove. At this point, the course section has been successfully assigned to the survey. You do not have to save the page.
Eventually, that black circle with white a check mark will turn into a green circle with white a check mark.
- If you need to exclude an instructor(s), see HelioCampus AC - Eval Survey Instance - Excluding Instructors from Questions (Admin) [UW-Madison].
Special Circumstances for Course Assignment
Managing Cross-Listed Course Sections
Each time a cross-listed course is entered into SIS, one section is identified as the parent. The other course sections are referred to as child or linked sections. These linked sections may belong to different departments, or entirely different schools or colleges, than the parent.
When conducting HelioCampus AC course evaluations, the department that owns the parent section should issue the evaluation for all cross-linked courses (the parent and each child linked section). Therefore, the department, college or school that owns the linked sections should not be assigning those linked sections to any HelioCampus AC survey instance (unless prior arrangements have been made). All results are aggregated and pulled into the parent section.
Meets With Course Sections
Meets With courses are not linked in HelioCampus AC. For meets with courses, each course section must be assigned to a survey by its own department.
If your course section meets with a section in another department, but you would like to assign them the same survey, a duplicate survey must be created by the corresponding department's administrator.
Differentiating between Parent and Linked course sections
On the HelioCampus AC Assign Courses page, parent course sections are marked with a chain-link icon annotated with a square containing a number. The number denotes how many course sections are linked to this parent course.
- Hover the mouse pointer over an annotated chain-link icon, to view the course name, number, and section number of every linked course section in an itemized window.
Linked sections are marked with the non-annotated chain-link icon (without a numbered square).
- Hover the mouse pointer over the non-annotated chain-link icon, to view the course name, number, and section number of the parent course section in an itemized window.
- Locate the chain-link icon with the red square.
- Click on the +Assign button (as described above).
By assigning this parent course section, HelioCampus AC will automatically assign all the linked course sections.
If another department has already assigned a survey to your section, you will receive an error message, to either proceed or quit the action. If you select Yes, Assign Courses, students in that section will receive two HelioCampus AC course evaluations for the same section. We strongly discourage doing assigning it twice. If you are the parent course section department, reach out to the linked course department telling them to unassign.
Confirming Course Assignment
After assigning course sections to a survey, HelioCampus AC administrators are encouraged to run the Course Survey Assignment Audit to confirm that they haven't missed anything.
To view the number of questions assigned to a course section, refer to the #Questions field (found under Survey Instance>Assigned Courses.) This field usually is populated with zeroes, because it refers to the number of questions the instructor has added to the course section which will be added to this instance, rather than the number of questions actually in the survey. See HelioCampus AC - Eval - Survey Questions - Adding Course Section Specific Questions (Admin) [UW-Madison] to add questions to this section.