Topics Map > Media Delivery > Kaltura > Kaltura for Canvas
Topics Map > LMS > Canvas > Canvas - Known Issues
Topics Map > Media Delivery > Kaltura > MediaSpace > Analytics
Kaltura - Using Kaltura course media galleries and analytics in Canvas
This document shows instructors how to use Kaltura course media galleries in Canvas. It also describes how to use the media gallery feature to get course level analytics on embedded media in a Canvas course.
1. Enable the Kaltura course media gallery in Canvas
The Kaltura Media Canvas course navigation item (also known as Media Gallery) is disabled by default. To enable a Kaltura course media gallery in Canvas:
- From your Canvas course click the Settings course navigation item.
- Click the Navigation tab.
- Scroll until you find the Kaltura Media menu option. Click the three dot kabob menu and click on Enable:
- Click the Save button near the bottom of the screen.
- Kaltura Media should appear in your Canvas course navigation.
More information on enabling and disabling Canvas course navigation options is described in Instructure's guide How do I manage Course Navigation links?
2. Add media to your Canvas course media gallery
- Click your Canvas course's Kaltura Media menu option.
- The Media Gallery screen will display. Click either the + button or the + Add Media button depending on the size of your browser window.
- The Add Media screen will display. Search for or scroll until you find the media item(s) you want to add to your media gallery. Click the checkbox to the left of the media item(s) you want to add to your course media gallery:
- Click the Publish button in the upper right.
- The course Media Gallery screen will display with your newly added media files.
3. Embed media in your Canvas course from the media gallery
We do not recommend that instructors simply link or refer students to view media in the media gallery itself. Instead we recommend embedding media in Canvas pages and then organized in a module. This way students know exactly what video they are supposed to watch when. Embedding media from your course media gallery in your Canvas course is very similar to how an instructor normally embeds media in a Canvas course with one important change.
- In your Canvas course, go to the Canvas page, discussion post, or quiz discussion you want to embed Kaltura media in. Click Edit.
- Move your cursor to the point in your Canvas item where you want to insert Kaltura media.
- Click the blue V icon to view the More External Tools menu. Select Kaltura Media from the drop-down list:
- A Kaltura Media window will open. This is where the workflow changes from regular embedding of Kaltura Media. Click on Media Galleries at the top and search for or select the course media gallery that you want to embed a media item from:
If the course media gallery that you want to use is not listed, check to see if that course is published. It needs to be published to display here. If you do need to publish your course, it will take 15-30 minutes before it will display as an option.
- After you have selected the course media gallery you want to embed media from the Kaltura Media screen will display media from that channel.
- Scroll to or search for the media you want to embed. Click the </> Embed button next the media you want to embed:
Optional: If you would like to customize how your media is embedded in Canvas, instead of clicking the </> Embed button, click the gear button. More information on the options available with the gear button are outlined in Canvas - How to add or embed a video in your Canvas course using Kaltura Media (UW-Madison) .
- The video will show up on your Canvas page. You can continue to edit the page and add text if you'd like. Once you're done click the Save button.
- Canvas will display your page with your embedded Kaltura video.
4. Accessing Kaltura course media gallery analytics
Once you have embedded Kaltura media gallery items into your course and students have started viewing the material you can access the course analytics. To access the course media gallery analytics:
- Click the Kaltura Media Canvas course menu option.
- Click the Media Gallery Channel Actions button in the upper right and select Analytics.
- You'll see a screen with four course media gallery analytics tabs.
- Dashboard: The dashboard provides a summer of total number of media entries in the gallery, the number of entries that have been viewed, and how many plays they've gotten. It also shows most popular media, top engaged users, and top contributors. You can mouse over many items to get an explanation for the metric you're seeing.
- Media: The media tab provides a table of the media items, who contributed what, the number of plays in the channel, total plays, a visual line of the trend, total view time, average view time, average drop-off, and duration of the media entry. Each entry can also be expanded with the black arrow on the left to show additional information about each student's maximum play-through for that media entry. There are buttons to both download a CSV or load a printable version.
- Engagement: The engagement tab is more student-centric and shows a each user (or student), the number of unique media entries they've accessed, watched, a visual representation of the trend of views, their total view time, average view time, average drop-off, how many times they've loaded a page with an entry and how many times they've played the entries. Each user can be expanded with the black arrow on the left to show additional information about each entry the user has loaded and their view drop-off. There are buttons to both download a CSV or load a printable version.
- Contribution: The contribution tab shows information on who contributed what to the media gallery. It may be empty if you import media gallery items from a previous media gallery. There are buttons to both download a CSV or load a printable version.
- Each tab can be filtered by the drop-down at the right to only show data from the last 7 days, the last 30 days, the last 120 days, the last 365 days, or a custom filter.
Importing Kaltura course media galleries in Canvas
Normally when a course is taught again, the instructor can use Canvas's Import Course Content function to import material from a previously taught Canvas course as described in Instructure's Guide How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool. This function does not import course media galleries from previously taught courses. To import Kaltura course media galleries into a new Canvas course:
- Make sure the Kaltura Media course menu item is activated as outlined above in Enable the Kaltura course media gallery in Canvas.
- Click the Kaltura Media Canvas course menu option. The Media Gallery screen will display.
- Click the Media Gallery Channel Actions button in the upper right and select Import:
- The Select the media gallery you want to import entries from window will open. Select the radio button of the course media gallery you want to import and click Import:
- You may see a message about media importing to your current media gallery. Once completed you'll see a message at the top of the screen that says "Importing completed successfully. To refresh the page and view the imported entries, click here." Click on the link to refresh the media gallery or click on the Kaltura Media course menu option to refresh the course media gallery. You should see the imported entries.