Topics Map > Known Issues (all tools) > Canvas - Known Issues
Canvas - Known Issue - Cannot Browse for Images to Insert to Course Summary [UW-Madison]
The Course Summary tool in UW-Madison's instance of Canvas does not allow users to link to internal course content using the Canvas links tab and does not provide a mechanism for users to browse for files on their computer or in their course. This makes it difficult for instructors to insert images into the Course Summary page.
This issue affects the Course Summary tool in all for-credit courses.
As a workaround, instructors can upload an image to the Files section of their Canvas course, copy the file location, and insert it into the Course Summary:
- Upload the image to the Canvas Files tool.
- In the file viewer, right click the image title and select Copy Link Location.
- Navigate to the Course Summary and click Edit.
- Click on the Insert/edit image icon in the Rich Content Editor.
- Paste in the URL you copied. Note that it should take the format https://canvas.wisc.edu/files/xxxxxxx/download?download_frd=1.
- Add an image description and edit the image size, if desired. Click Save to insert the image.
- Click Update to save changes to the Course Summary.