Topics Map > LMS > D2L
D2L - Import Scantron Scores into the D2L Gradebook (UW-Madison)
This document describes the process that allows UW-Madison instructors to import Scantron Scores into the D2L gradebook.
- Submit the D2L courseID
- Prior to giving the exam, please emphasize to students the importance of correctly completing the StudentID information on the scoresheet.
- When submitting an exam to Testing and Evaluation (T&E) for scoring, write the D2L courseID (e.g., english100_016_sp05) on the T&E "job order" form.
- You can find the courseID by going to Edit Course and clicking on Course Offering Information.
- The presence of a courseID number triggers T&E to make a copy of the results file available to Learn@UW Support.
- After Learn@UW Support receives the T&E file, the .csv (comma separated values) file (<timestamp>_<courseid>_IMPORT.csv) is placed in the TE_Exams folder in the Files area of the D2L course. The instructor is notified by e-mail that the file is available for importing into the D2L Gradebook.
**Note: This process can take up to 24 hours since it runs through two systems.
- As a precaution, we recommend exporting the Gradebook before making changes to it.
- From the Enter Grades tab, click Export Grades
- Select Username as the key field
- Check Points Grade
- Select all columns
- Click Export to CSV
- Save the file on your local computer.
- Prior to importing grades, your gradebook should have a grade item column that will hold the grades you will import from the T&E exam file. Do one of the following:
| If you need to create a grade item to which to import the exam scores:
|| If you plan to import the exam scores into an existing grade item:
- Download the file, which will be called <timestamp>_<courseid>_IMPORT.csv, from the TE_Exams folder.
- Click on Edit Course, and Manage Files, and then on the TE_Exams folder.
- Check the box next to the IMPORT.csv file once you have located it under the TE_Exams folder.
- Click on the download option. It is a green circle with a triangle pointing down. It is between the Delete and Zip icon.
- A pop-up window will open. Click on the hyperlink.
- A new pop-up window should appear. Save the File.
- IMPORTANT: We strongly advise that you do not open this file. In our experience, simply opening the file may alter it, and prevent it from importing. Any grade changes that need to be made can be done in D2L after the import is complete.
- To import the exam grades into D2L:
- In the Gradebook, click the Enter Grades tab along the top.
- Click the Import button
- Click Choose File to find the IMPORT file that you just downloaded to your computer and click Open.
- Click Next. At this point you will be able to see specifically which grades will be imported. If you are satisfied with the preview, click Continue.
- Click Import to accept the changes and import the grades into the Gradebook. (Since only a limited number of students appear on the preview import screen, you may need to click Import multiple times).
- Error files are created when, based on the StudentID provided in the file from T&E, we were unable to find a NetID (username) for some of the students. An Errors file named <timestamp>_<courseid>_ERRORS.csv would be created and put in your TE_Exams folder. Encouraging students to carefully complete the ID information on the scantron test sheets will help avoid the need for manually correcting errors.
- We recommend that you open this Errors file using a spreadsheet program such as Excel and manually add these scores to your D2L Gradebook. To manually add scores to the Gradebook, see Entering Student Grades.
- Check to be sure that the (long) column name in the Gradebook corresponds to the column name in the file. The notification e-mail indicates what the (long) column name in the Gradebook must be. Click on the Title of the column in the Gradebook, and then verify that the Name is correct.
- If you opened the file during step 3, delete the file from your computer and repeat step 5 without opening the file in Excel or any other application. Any grade changes can be made in D2L after the import process.
If you still cannot import the file, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and describe the errors you are receiving. Please be sure to include the CourseID.
For more information regarding Testing & Evaluation, please visit the T&E Homepage.