Topics Map > LMS > Canvas
Canvas - Exporting your course materials from D2L and importing them into Canvas (UW-Madison)
You can export your course contents from D2L and import them into a Canvas course to help save you time when building your Canvas course for the Canvas pilot.
NOTE: Safari automatically unzips the zip file in to a separate folder, so you will have to turn off "Open Safe Files" before exporting (Safari-Preferences-General-Open Safe Files After Downloading)
Please use the comment feature at the bottom of the page to make suggestions for additions to this document as you discover issues or best practices you feel other instructors would benefit from:
Export Components from your D2L Course
The first step is to export your D2L course components:
- Login to your D2L course.
- Click on Course Admin → Edit Course.
- Click on Import / Export / Copy Components.
- Select Export Components. Make sure "Include course files in the export package" is checked:
- Click Start.
- Select the course materials you want to export:
If you have uploaded media files to D2L we recommend not exporting these to keep your backup to a reasonable size, and instead upload your media files to Kaltura MediaSpace. Please see Kaltura - How to Upload Files to Mediaspace (UW-Madison)
- Click Continue.
- D2L will display a Confirm Components to Export window. Click Continue.
- D2L will export the course components. Depending on the amount of material in your course this could take anywhere from a few minutes to a half hour. When it is complete click Finish.
- D2L will display an Export Summary and a link to download a .zip file of your course export. Click the link to download the exported zip file to your computer:
Save the zip file somewhere on your computer where you'll remember to find it for the next step. Canvas courses currently have a quota of 1024 MB. If your D2L export file is larger than 1024 MB you have two options: A.) Remove some of the items from your course backup if you are not using them to reduce the file size, or B.) Contact the DoIT Help Desk or your local School and College support staff to request a quota increase.
Import your D2L Backup into Canvas
- Login to your Canvas course.
- Click on Settings on the left-hand navigation bar.
- Click on Import Content into this Course on the right hand side of the screen:
- Next to Content Type click the drop-down menu and select D2L Export .zip format.
- Click Choose File. Navigate to the .zip file backup you created in D2L.
- Select either All Content or Select Specific Content depending on what you want to import.
- It is likely you will want to check Adjust Events and Due Dates since it is probable you are importing course materials from a previous semester and the dates won't match up. Often it is easiest to select Remote dates but you can also select Shift dates.
- Click Import:
- Canvas will import your course content. Depending on the amount of content this can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more. Once the file has been uploaded Canvas will display a progress bar showing you that it is running and importing content:
- Once Canvas has completed importing your D2L content it will show as completed and indicate if there were any issues:
- You can click on the issues to see a summary of the issues:
Make note of the issues to address in your Canvas course. Clicking on the highlighted issues will take you to that page in your Canvas course for you to edit. There may be non-highlighted issues as well that may not have an analog in your Canvas course.