This document outlines how to control course access for enrolled students
Modify Course Access for all students
As an instructor, you are able to change restrictions for student access in your course. These restrictions include student access to courses before or after the start and end date.
Restrict students from viewing course before start date:
- Default settings: When a student enrolls in a future course, it displays in the Future Enrollments section in the student Courses list. After a course is published, it displays an invitation to join the course, where the students can view course content at any time before the course begins.
- With student restriction: Students cannot view a link to the course until the start date, even if the course is published.
Restrict students from viewing course after end date:
- Under default settings: Once a course has concluded, students can still view the course but all content is displayed in a read-only state.
- With student restriction enabled: Students can no longer view the course in the Courses list after the course has concluded.
- These restriction settings also apply to the override start and end dates for the course.
- If no override dates are specified, the start and end dates apply to the term dates. (tutorial: change course start and end dates)
Extend Access to Your Course for a Subset of Students
Instructors may want a few students to stay in the course beyond its term and/or course end date. For instance, they may do this for students who have not fulfilled all their course requirements and are marked as incomplete until they finish their work. Here's how you can extend student access to your course:
- Create a new section (tutorial: How do I add a section to a course?)
- Enter the start and end dates for the new section (tutorial: How do I edit the details for a course section?)
- Make sure the "Users can only participate in the course between these dates" box is checked.
- This checkbox is what causes section dates to override course dates.
- Checking this box indicates to Canvas that you want the section dates to override the course dates.