Data is aggregated in two different areas by Kaltura:
- With each individual media item. Data collection for unique users can be done by:
- Embedding in Canvas using the Kaltura/Canvas integration.
- Linking to the individual media item in Kaltura Media Space as long as the media is not unlisted. The student must login to Kaltura MediaSpace to view the media.
- With each channel that contains media items. Data collection for unique users can be done by:
- Using the “Media Channel Link”.
- Using the Media Gallery (essentially a channel) in your Canvas course.
Embedding in Canvas using the Kaltura integration is outlined in Canvas - How to add or embed a video in your Canvas course using Kaltura Media (UW-Madison). When you link to an individual media item in Kaltura, unique user data will not be gathered if the media item is published as “Unlisted”. Instead of publishing each individual media item as “Unlisted”, you should publish these items to a channel and use the “Media Channel Link” (see below).
Media Channel LinksMedia channel links are links that load a media item within the context of a channel. We want to use this link because it aggregates all student views for all the videos in a course as long as the permissions of the channel are set in such a way that it requires NetID login (open, restricted, and private). This allows for a more holistic view of the students overall interactions with all the videos in a course. “Link to Media Page” links will only aggregate data at the individual media level.
Here are what the two links look like:
Media Channel Link: https://mediaspace.wisc.edu/media/TestVideoForKaltura3/1_f5pf7ip6/78531822
Link to Media Page: https://mediaspace.wisc.edu/media/TestVideoForKaltura3/1_f5pf7ip6
The key difference is that bold text on the end of the Media Channel Link. That is the channel identifier. You get to the media channel link by navigating first to the channel and then loading the individual media page from within the channel. Here is where you get the Media Channel Link: