Topics Map > LMS > Canvas
Topics Map > Learning Analytics & Assessment > Final Grading
Canvas - Calculating Final Grades
Canvas will always show calculated final grades and not the final grade. At the end of the term, it’s important that you take steps to ensure students view final grades and instructors transfer the correct grades to the Registrar.
Please verify that your assignments are set up and scores have been entered. The following are areas to consider:
Check Your Assignment Settings
- If you are using assignment groups ( with or without weights), review your settings and confirm they are set up the way you intended.
- If you are dropping the lowest score, make sure assignments are in the right assignment group.
- Do not leave grade book cells blank: Enter zeros for unsubmitted grades using the default grade for an assignment or EX to excuse a grade.
- Unmute all assignments.
Adjusting the Calculated Grade
Canvas does not have an adjusted grades column. Your calculated grade is always available.
The following strategies offer methods to give extra credit in a course:
- Use Fudge points in a quiz.
- Add extra points to an existing assignment.
- Exclude an assignment from the course's final grade.
- Create a Bonus Assignment.
Setting Default Grade (formerly "Treat Ungraded as Zero")
You can change all ungraded assignments to 0 (zero) by using the “Set Default Grade” feature described in this document: How do I set a default grade for an assignment?. It is highly recommended that you save a backup of your Canvas gradebook before making bulk changes.
See the note in the Faculty Center Grade Prep Tool document under "Verify Students' Final Grades in Canvas" for information about how the final grade and ungraded assignments look to students.
Drop the Lowest Score
In order to drop the lowest score from a set of assignments, you must have zeros added in the grade book for all assignments in the group. Cells cannot be left blank if this function is to work properly.
Use set a default grade to set zeros for students that do not have a score for the assignment.
Transferring Final Grades
See Canvas - Faculty Center Grade Prep Tool and Final Grade Preparation for directions on how to transfer final grades from Canvas to the Faculty Center.