Topics Map > LMS > Canvas
Topics Map > Learning Analytics & Assessment > AEFIS
Canvas and AEFIS - Using the Course Syllabus (AEFIS) Tool
This document describes how to use the Course Syllabus (AEFIS) tool to create a course syllabus. Find more information about the university’s recommendations, policies and requirements for course syllabi.
The Course Syllabus (AEFIS) tool provides instructors with an easy-to-use, editable course syllabus template that can be accessed directly in AEFIS or via Canvas course sites. The tool automatically populates information for a number of required syllabi components – such as course name, credit hours and formally approved course learning outcomes (via Lumen Courses) – while also accommodating section- and instructor-specific details and expectations. Learn more about the university’s recommendations, policies and requirements for course syllabi.
The Course Syllabus Tool is hosted in AEFIS and integrated into Canvas to provide easy access to course instructors and students. The tool is currently only intended for use in credit-based courses, and will not be accessible in non-credit courses.
Accessing the Course Syllabus Through Canvas
To access the Course Syllabus Tool through Canvas, designated course instructors should:
- Log into Canvas and navigate to your course.
- Select the Course Syllabus (AEFIS) link from the course navigation menu.
- Proceed to editing the course syllabus.
Accessing the Course Syllabus Tool Through AEFIS
To access the Course Syllabus Tool directly in AEFIS, designated course instructors should follow the steps below. Departmental staff who provide support to course instructors can also request access to edit syllabi for their department.
- Log into AEFIS.
- Find the My Course Sections & Syllabi widget on your home page.
- Click the blue pencil icon to navigate to the course of your choosing.
- Select Course Syllabus from the course section navigation menu to create, edit and/or publish your syllabus.
Editing and Publishing a Course Syllabus
The Course Syllabus (AEFIS) tool contains editable fields and locked fields. Locked fields import data directly from the Student Information System (SIS) or Lumen Courses. Any changes or corrections to the information contained in these fields must be made in SIS or Lumen.
The instructions below describe how to use the Course Syllabus (AEFIS) tool to update editable fields and provide information on the systems that are used to populate locked fields.
- Navigate to the Course Syllabus tool via Canvas or directly in AEFIS using the instructions above.
- If you have not started editing your syllabus, you will also see the note below.
- Click the blue Edit button.
- Add a description for the required and optional syllabus fields.
- Required fields are marked with a red Required tag. You must complete these fields in order to publish your syllabus. Learn more about what’s recommended and required for course syllabi at UW-Madison.
- Optional fields are marked with a green Optional tag.
Locked fields are auto-populated via the Student Information System (SIS) and Lumen Courses, and are not editable in this tool. (Locked fields are indicated by a red padlock icon.)
Fields such as Course Information, Meeting Time and Location, and Instructors and Teaching Assistants are imported from SIS. Please contact your SIS curricular representative to determine how to update incorrect or incomplete information in a one of these fields. Also, please note that there are some known issues which may impact these fields, especially for cross-listed or variable-credit courses.
Course Learning Outcomes are auto-populated from Lumen Courses. Only formally approved learning outcomes submitted through Lumen Courses will display in the tool. UW-Madison requires all course learning outcomes to be departmentally approved and submitted through the appropriate course approval process via Lumen Courses. To submit your learning outcomes through Lumen Courses, follow these instructions.
Saving and Publishing a Course Syllabus
Once you have finished editing your syllabus you can either save it as a draft or publish it.
Once you have published your syllabus, students will be able to access it by selecting the Course Syllabus (AEFIS) navigation link in your Canvas course or directly via AEFIS. Your published syllabus will also be available to institutional administrators and may be consulted for compliance or accreditation purposes.