MFA-Duo - Generating Backup Passcodes for Future Use
This document will guide you through the process of generating backup passcodes for future use should you be in a situation where you can't bring in your MFA device (such as a secured location or a classroom where you're taking a test and can't have any devices).
Generating Backup Passcodes for Future Use
- Navigate to the Multi-Factor Authentication Portal at www.mfa.wisc.edu. Authenticate with your UW-Madison NetID and Password. You will also be asked to approve the login through your existing multi-factor authentication devices.
- Click the blue Create Backup Passcodes button.
- Click the blue Print Backup Passcodes button.
- Click Print to print your passcodes or write them down if you do not have access to a printer
Handling Your Backup Codes
- Backup codes should be stored in a secure but accessible location (such as a locked drawer or cabinet) while not in use.
- Generating new backup codes will invalidate your previous backup codes.
- Backup codes will expire after four months; The expiration date is displayed on the print-out below the passcodes.
- Each code can only be used once so we recommend crossing them off as you use them.
See accessibility & usability information
We work with our users to address access and usability barriers in the MFA user experience. Learn details about known access barriers and workarounds at MFA-Duo - Accessibility & Usability Information. If you encounter a barrier or need assistance, please contact the DoIT Help Desk or call (608) 264-4357.
If you would like to share your thoughts regarding the usability or accessibility of the MFA user experience, please use our Feedback Form. We appreciate your feedback.
For questions regarding how to get access to the MFA mobile app, Security Key token, or the Duo push-button token/fob contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.