MFA-Duo - What is the best way to use MFA-Duo when traveling?
This document describes the best practices for MFA-Duo Authentication when cellular/internet services are unavailable.
You have several options for MFA-Duo that will work both within the US and internationally.
If you change your SIM Card
To generate a passcode:
- Simply open the Duo Mobile app and click the UW Madison NetID Login down arrow located at the upper right-hand corner of your smartphone. This will generate a six-digit temporary passcode.
- Enter the six-digit code provided on your smartphone in the Multi-Factor Authentication portal to complete the authentication process.
Smartphone or tablet with the Duo app installed
- When you have a wifi or cellular signal, you can still "push" a notification to the app.
- When cellular or wifi signal is unavailable, you can use the Duo Mobile app to generate a passcode. For more on this, see: MFA-Duo - Obtaining a Passcode from the Duo Mobile App
Token/Fob or security key
- If you do not have access to a smartphone or tablet, you can use a token/fob. For more on this, see MFA-Duo - How to use a token/fob
Generate 10 Backup Codes for Future Use
- Each backup passcode can only be used once, so we recommend crossing them off as you use them.
- Backup passcode will expire after four months. The expiration date is displayed on the print out below the passcodes
- Generating new backup passcodes will invalidate your previous backup passcodes, even if you haven't used all of them.
- For more on this, see MFA-Duo - Generating Backup Passcodes for Future Use
If you don't have access to a smartphone, tablet, or token/fob or security key you can call the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-HELP and an agent can assist you by generating a temporary passcode.
See accessibility & usability information
We work with our users to address access and usability barriers in the MFA user experience. Learn details about known access barriers and workarounds at MFA-Duo - Accessibility & Usability Information. If you encounter a barrier or need assistance, please contact the DoIT Help Desk or call (608) 264-4357.
How to get access to a Security Key or Duo Token/Fob
Students can come to the DoIT Help Desk location at 1210 W. Dayton St., Madison, WI 53706 on the first floor of the Computer Science and Statistics Building or at the front desk of Ebling Library, located on the 2nd floor of the Health Sciences Learning Center (HSLC) located at 750 Highland Avenue. Students with disabilities can also request a token or security key at the McBurney Disability Resource Center, 702 W. Johnson St., Suite #2104, Madison WI 53751 on the 2nd floor.
Faculty, Staff, and Researchers
Employees can get access to devices for MFA at their Human Resources Office or IT department. For questions contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.