Topics Map > Features and Functionality > Client Capabilities > Desktop
Microsoft 365 - Introducing new Teams client for Windows/MacOS/Web
Here’s a quick look what users can expect from new Teams for desktop:
- Up to 2X faster, whether you’re launching the app, joining meetings, or switching chats or channels.
- Up to 50% less memory and disk space utilization; lower CPU usage and more battery life.
- Seamlessly collaborate across multiple organizations or accounts, ensuring no disruption to your workflow.
- More reliable, improved security and better manageability – using trusted types, stringent CSPs, and integration with MSIX.
Here’s a quick look what users can expect from new Teams for web:
- Support for more than two concurrent Teams tabs.
- Screen reader challenges with notifications.
- Various stability and performance issues.
When will this happen?
This is now available.
From January 2024 on-wards, Microsoft will set New Teams as the default for all Education users. If you have not switched over to the new client, a banner may appear reminding you about the timeline for the auto update. This banner will appear in the main Teams client window at the top of the page (underneath the main bar).
Early April 2024 – For education users still using classic Teams, Microsoft will set new Teams as the default for all clients.
Early June 2024 - Classic Teams will stop working and all new features in future will be supported on new Teams. Education users that were still using classic Teams will get automatically upgraded to the new Teams.
Note: The new Teams client for the web will only be available for Edge and Chrome browsers starting the week of November 27th, 2023. For other browsers, new Teams will be available in early 2024.
How can you switch to the new version?
For desktop versions of Teams, depending on the update channel your client is on, you may have the ability to try the new version of Teams. To enable the new version, slide the Try the new Teams toggle located in the upper-left corner of your classic Teams client and follow the on-screen instructions. Find out which version you are running.
For web version of Teams, use the Try the new Teams toggle located in the upper-left corner.
If you are unable to switch to the new version of Teams desktop client and receive "Your admin has restricted access to the new Teams" message, follow steps below:
- Uninstall existing Teams desktop client.
- Restart computer.
- Install new version of Teams desktop client.
Is the new version of Teams client supported?
Yes. Please contact the DoIT Help Desk so the issue can be reviewed and handled accordingly. If you continue to experience problems/issues/missing features, we recommend you switch back to the standard version of Teams.
How to switch back to standard version of Teams
To switch back to the standard release and fully supported version of Teams, from within the "Settings and more (...)" menu, toggle New Teams setting to off position to return to the standard version of Teams.